338 Edge Velocity Information

L

Lightvarmint

I realize that there are a lot of posts out there discussing the 338 Edge. However, some are older posts and I wanted to get the most current information if you please. I need the muzzle velocity information with the different powders you guys are using on four different combinations of barrel lengths and bullets:

30" w/300 SMK

28" w/300 SMK

30" w/250 SMK or Accubond

28" w/250 SMK or Accubond

All responses providing information or confirming another posting in the thread will be very much appreciated. BTW, I really do not need any 225 grain bullet information. Thanks in advance.

Lightvarmint

My 338 Edge with a 28" barrel is getting 2825 fps. with a 300 smk.
93 grs. H-1000, CCI 250 primer

do you want the highest velocity that can be obtained or the velocity with the most accuracy?

Dave thanks for your response.... I am seeking the information on the velocity that the shooters get when they are shooting accurate enough to use it for hunting. In other words, their hunting load velocity. But, if you have other numbers, that will also shed light. Don't be shy.

James

i don't have a 28 or 30" barrel but i do have one that's finished at 29! my accuracy load went 2775 with the 300smk was 92 h1000, 250 and rem cases. the 250smk goes 3050 with 97gr of h1000, 250 and rem cases. i can shoot the 250's close to 3200. this is with a Rock Creek 10 twist barrel.

We run 93gr H1000 w/300gr SMK at 2920 out of 31" barrels. I built one a couple weeks ago that ran 2890 with the same load.

30 in Rock, 300 SMK, 105 gr US 869 2830. Load is pretty mild and have loaded REM brass 15 times pockets are still good and no split necks so far.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replys. I got back late yesterday evening from my gunsmith (Carolina Precision Rifles) after having a 338/300 RUM and 300 RUM chambered up in the Hall Express Repeater......

We will be running some tests with this repeater and will be comparing the results to my 338 Lapua Improved and the 338/408 Cheytac-based chamberings.

Of course, we will be using the HAT bullets. The goal is to see what is possible using the RUM case as compared to the other two that I mentioned with the HAT bullets. Lots of guys have the Edge and also have magnum bolt faces and we are interested in what the advantages the HAT bullets will provide to the magnum bolt face gun owners.

Thanks again for all the responses. Working brass today and shooting tomorrow.

Lightvarmint

I was down visiting Long Time Long Ranger before Christmas and looked at data on over a hudred 338-300 RUM's that he had built and these velocities all look right in there with all his data. He was the first one to do this cartridge back in the 90's and had put dozens of them in the hands of Colorado elk hunters before the 300 RUM's were hitting the market. Probably the first one ever built in this country was done by LTLR for a guy on this forum. If you need info on this cartridge or any of the others you mentioned there or any big 338 he would be the rescource to check with. He has played with and specialized in the big 338's for many years. Way before they ever got so popular.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.