338 Edge Twins

Takman,

I have McMillan Stocks on 3 rifles...A-2, A-3, and A-5. The McMillans are all heavier, but I don't have the Edge Technology in any of them. The Manners are a faster lead-time and probably a little better customer service than McMillan. Either stock takes very little work to complete. What I liked about the Manners T-2 is the wide forend and the more conventional butt stock. I find on my A-5, that I rarely use the "hook". If Tom will inlet for a Nesika M, I might change it from the A-5 to the T-2.

You build sounds pretty good. We are also waiting on the Seekins Detachable Mag. I have been in contact with Glen and asked him to put me in line for a few of them. Good Luck on your Lapua and post some pics when finished.

Thank you for your input. What's your opinion on the adjustable cheekpiece option?

Last edited:
The cheekpiece would be a matter of preference. The T-2 has a high comb anyway. With low rings, you would never have to adjust it, not even sure you would with mediums. Guess it depends on ones preference.

Did a little load work today with a new lot of powder. I just wanted to make sure everything was still good. My new load will be 94 gr of H1000. This gave me 2890fps with an ES of 7. Here are the results. I pulled the last shot on the right target. Got a little to excited I guess.
338edge007.jpg

This is 9 shots with some cases I had left over from an earlier load development. There are 2 types of powder (Retumbo and H1000) with charges from 92-94 grains. The Edge is definitely not finicky.
338edge008.jpg

Last edited:
TMR,

G'day mate !

Just curious to see what OAL you are running. I shoot a DE edge and run at 3.775 with the 92 grn H 1000 combo with the 300 smk. I may try to sneak it up, but the accuracy now is amazing. Dont know if I'd bother ?

Cheers

DUH

DUH,

We are running 3.81" OAL. My measurement on the comparator is 3.069". I haven't tried the 3.77" length most people use. We just loaded them to mag. length. It looks like we are about .030" off the lands. I have seen your posts about your rifle, I wouldn't touch it. It seems to shoot just fine.

Capt Academy,

It took a weekend to do the machine work (chamber, thread, true action). A day of sandblasting and coating. Then a week of 3hours a night painting the stocks. It probably could have gone much faster, but I have a full time job that is usually around 65hrs a week. The stocks require alot of patience. There is around 6 hours of taping and painting per stock. Kinda goes like this....paint a base and let dry overnight, tape first pattern (about 3 hours) paint 2nd color ( 10 mins) and let dry overnight, tape off accents(2 hrs) spray accent color and let dry overnight. Clear the entire stock and let dry overnight. I have found that after about 2 weeks, Duracoat is fully cured and is almost impossible to remove. Just try not to get any solvent on it during the first couple of weeks.

260shooter,

The Edges are still shooting great..I have around 700 rounds down mine, and Jesse has close to 500 down his. Both are still grouping under 1/2moa if we do our part. We took them to a couple of Shawn's classes during the spring and summer so we could learn wind reading skills. We added adjustable cheek pieces from Shawn and I am going to install Seekins detachable mags here in the next couple weeks when I get time.

Critter Talley for 2008

1 Mule Deer @ 733yds
2 Elk @ 700yds
1 Mule Deer @ 500yds
1 coyote @ 863yds
A truckload of rocks out to 1800yds

Still very happy with the rifles.

Thanks guys,

Never tried any of the N165....We tried some Retumbo, but the H1000 worked better.

Made a new addition to mine tonight. She now has a Seekins Detachable mag setup. I might set the bullet out further to touch the lands now and see what it does. Jesse's will get the mag setup next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.