338 Edge Twins

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
I just finished up a couple of 338 Edge "twins" for my brother and I. The Edge is truely an amazing caliber. No matter what you feed this thing, it still shoots awesome. We have been using Shawn's standard 92 gr H1000 load and running around 2850fps. Today we did a little testing with 93 grs and ran right at 2870. Both rifles shot under 3" at 563yds shooting off the tailgate of the truck. We are definitely looking foward to taking Shawn's class in May and then on to hunting season. Here are the specs:

Trued Remington 700 with Consecutive Serial numbers
Broughton 1-10 Twist barrel with 3/8" fluting finished at 31"
Fluted Bolts
Nightforce 40 MOA Rail
Jewel Triggers set at 1.5 lbs
TPS Rings
Nightforce 5.5-22 x 50 with NP-R1
Manners T-2 Carbon Fiber Stock
Olive Drab Gun-Kote with Black flutes
Dura-coat Digi-cam stock paint
Defensive Edge brake
Finished weight with the Bipod = 13.5lbs

These 2 rifles are within 5-10fps of each other velocity wise, which makes it nice, since we often hunt together. I would like to thank Shawn for the info he provided me with on the caliber. If anyone is on the fence about the Edge, it is a very forgiving and easy to load for caliber.

338edge006.jpg

Last edited:
Looks Great

TMR,
I have to say those look great. I have been trying to talk my brother into doing the same thing.

Now the real question--Who's Shoots Better?:D

TMR, your rifles are awesome looking. I like the OD green with the Black flutes, that looks great! I am sure there going to shoot as good as they look. The 338 Edge cartridge has become a popular round.

W.

TMR,
I have to say those look great. I have been trying to talk my brother into doing the same thing.

Now the real question--Who's Shoots Better?:D

Funny you should ask....we did a little test while breaking in the barrels. We took turns shooting our rifles at a bullet hole in the target. I would shoot when his rifle was soaking, then he would shoot when my rifle was soaking. When we were done, we had 13 rounds in a hole that was easily covered with a quarter. Then we started to do some load work and it really got scary. The best group so far out of both rifles hover around the 1/4" mark for 3 shots. Both rifles shoot very well, it just depends on the pilot at the time. :D

This was a fun project with my brother. We have been talking about it for along time....the timing was finally right and we decided to go for it. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Those rifles are absolutely beautiful! I love that pic. I've been trying to get my brother into long range shooting for years (we used to shoot 1000's of rounds together as kids) you guys are very lucky. Don't take your brother for granted :D.

SUNDEVIL,

The actions, scopes, stocks, and barrels all have consecutive serial numbers. The actions I bought as a set, but the other stuff just kinda worked out that way.

280fan,

There is a stencil set, but there is also alot of "freehand" taping involved also to get the desired pattern with it. I use the stencils for a base, then I start to tape off the rest. I think it is bulldog arms that I get them from. Duracoat also sells a stencil kit, but bulldog is way less $$$.

The barrels are 1.2 for 4" then taper to .950" at 31". The 3/8" fluting removed a little over 1.5lbs. The stocks weigh around 2.25-2.5lbs with the cabon fiber. I was actually surprised when I set them on the scale. I had to check them on 3 scales just to verify. Recoil isn't bad at all. Shawn makes an awesome brake. I would compare it to about 270 win recoil. It is very easy to spot shots and catch your own trace at 300-400 yds and out. We shot about 50 rounds each yesterday and didn't have a problem at all.

It does include the scope. The rifle without the rings and base weighs 10.5lbs. It is a little heftier though when you load up the magazine with some Edge's though.:D:D:D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts