338 Edge Twins strike in Washington

Thanks Shawn,

We appreciate your help during the off season. Hopefully we can get some video in Montana. If so, we will send it over to you.

dogdinger,

I think everyone in Washington wonders what the Fish and Game dept. is doing. We saw some huge bulls in this herd and my brother has several pictures of bulls in September that range from the 320"class to close to 380". They only give out 2 rifle tags in that particular unit for branched bull. Most of them die of old age.

Good shooting guys! That's a great story.

I just got back last night with my WA spike and am going back today with my brother as he's got a cow tag. Long story short, I could've shot this guy as 420yds at 7:02, but just could not be completely sure he was just a spike as it was very dark still. I was dialed and on him and 95% sure he was a spike through the rifle and spotting scopes, but just not 100% sure. I found the same group back in the trees a few hours later and this guy took a 300RUM shot 240SMK still doing about 2900fps at 80yds in the chest--quite an energy dump--about 4500ft. lbs. I figure. He went about 20ft and expired. Front of his chest was jelly. Little sore today from packing him out of the wilderness yesterday...

dogdinger,

I think everyone in Washington wonders what the Fish and Game dept. is doing. We saw some huge bulls in this herd and my brother has several pictures of bulls in September that range from the 320"class to close to 380". They only give out 2 rifle tags in that particular unit for branched bull. Most of them die of old age.

I think it has something to do with 60,000 elk versus 260,000 elk? I don't think the herd could support the 4-point rule.

Ok, I shoot the 338 RUM and have some of those SMK's coming. What powder are you using? I don't think I'll be that far off of what you guy's are getting as all I have shot in mine have been 250 grn. Swifts and Core Lokts. ! I have a switch barrell that has the 7,300 & 375 Ultra mag. and was thinking of adding the Edge just as simple as making a new barrell and threading it right, maybe with this one I'll go the 28" or 30" barrell though and not the 26" like I have now any thoughts on this?

Forrest

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.