338 edge throught depth

big bore al

i have a 338 edge with a 32in 1in9 twist barrel i would like to shoot the 300gr mk but the 250 acu bonds that i load now are seated deaply into the case even when they are tuching the lands . if i load the 300 to just tuch the lands they take up alot of case vol . My gun is single feed so col dont mater . i talked to a smith about cutting it deaper he siad make a dummy round and he could make a perfect fit . would i gane anything by seating the bullet out and having more case vol . the throught is perfect now for the 200&225sst but i got the long barrel with the fast twist to take advantige of the extra case and the 300gr pills.

I would want a longer throat especially with that twist and barrel length. A throat reamer is ok, but there are a few risks. Their is a chance it will not follow on a perfect center. I recommend you talk to some of the better smiths on here for advice. Also I would not ignor the oprion to set the barrel back and rechamber with a longer throated reamer.

Just some thoughts.

Jeff

i can have a piloted reamer made by PTG to my spcs to match a dummy rd cost for me is like $140 that is how i would do it just get that and hand turn it they make the hand reamer for the throught too but my concern is am i going to gane anything or just run it like it is . i guss i could just give them a shot and as long as i can run the 300 around 2900fps i will be right where i want to be ill just use a short cut or ball powder i use win 780 now with 250s i could use some 7828ssc with 300 :rolleyes: any ideas would be helpfull the gun is together now and shoting good so far with the 250 ab.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.