338 edge short freebore?

sdeering

For those of you that are shooting the 300g SMK and have to seat the bullet quite deep in the case, what loads of h1000 are you using?

I got a nice 5 shot group with nos AB 225 under 89g H1000 2815F/s at 100y yesterday but the 300 SMK were all over the place. I had the 300s loaded at the same 89g and they were running 2600ish. I had a win mag primer pierce the other day with the 300SMK and 90g. New brass, everything extracted good, no cratering, the radius at the edge of the primer looked normal no ejector mark. The nozler cases have expanded .003 to .004" which I have read is normal. Im kinda thinking it was a bad primer.
I do have a throating reamer but thought I would try the chamber as cut.
Hears the gun rem 700 action accurised, barrel 29.25 18-9.5 RKS twist barrel DE brake
and groupgun):)
Thnanks in advance for any help.
Stephen
DSC00594.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

with 225 gr bullets, you might try a tad faster burning powder than H1000. 89 gr almost sounds like too little powder for that combo. just like you shouldn't exceed the maximum charge, going less than minimum is not recommended either. i'd check Hodgdon's loading data and find out what their minimum charge is for that combo. should be OK with the 300. as far as the primer burning through, i'd have the spring pressure checked on your firing pin. with the amount of powder you're using, i seriously dought you're having pressure issues.

Thanks for the help.
Just to clarify the primer pierced at the edge not by the firing pin dent. I will round up a pick tonight of the primer.
Stephen

Hears a pick of the culprit. Any advice form the experts?

DSC00596.jpg

And the others for reference. The far right was the same load. 300SMK 89gH1000
DSC00597.jpg

i'm not going to claim to be an expert and i didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. i too would like to hear from one of our smith's chime in. my guess is since it's new brass there must have been a low spot in the primer pocket or as you said a defect in the primer not sealing and letting gas escape.

I'm no expert either, though I did walk by a hotel the other day.:)

Not to be harsh.....I'd toss the Nosler brass in the brass bucket.

Primer pocket expansion occurs @ way low pressures, in my opinion.

I'd try a slower burning powder w/the 300 SMK. I tried 50 BMG in the 338 RUM and stayed with it.

I really appreciate the help guys.

I did pop the primer out and it doesn't look like the gas went up the side. The primers do feel a little loose going into the new brass but I don't see that relating. Maybe it does?

With the once fired I can't measure any difference in primer pocket Dia. I do have 50 new rem brass I will be using in the future.
How does Retumbo compare to H1000? I do have a pound of it to try.

One thing I did is accurise the action. One step was th true the bolt face. I did measure the firing pin protrution after and it was .060 so I removed .005" from the end to get it back to .055"

I din't bush the firing pin hole, it's still stock. I would think one would get a little cratering if this is a pressure problem. To me there is no cratering sign at all.

Stephen

Side note. Going elk hunting on opening day, Monday. Getting excited.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.