338 edge savage 110 bull barrel. No muzzle brake...

wboregon

I've been sitting on this build for far to long. I finishd putting it together a few months ago, ive only got a 1/2" recoil pad on my stock and a 7 1/2lb barrel. But its not threaded and i haven't bought a clamp on break yet.

Its going to hurt, and while im not the most recoil sensitive person in the world, im a little worried. Should i shoot it without the break or should i wait?

A bull barrel and it only weighs #7.5 ?
You can shoot it for break in or run a pressure ladder to see where the top end is but as mentioned I wouldn't do any serious load development as the brake may change it. That thing will pack a wollop with a 300 grain !

A bull barrel and it only weighs #7.5 ?
You can shoot it for break in or run a pressure ladder to see where the top end is but as mentioned I wouldn't do any serious load development as the brake may change it. That thing will pack a wollop with a 300 grain !

Yeah I was thinking about just doing break in. It's a savage small shank so barrel diameter is only ~1", could be heavier or lighter I'm just going off the ups shipping weight

I couldn't imagine, firing that thing for any amount of shots, besides maybe once just for the experience.

A friend of mine has a 338 lapua built on a ruger number 1 with a sporter barrel on it, no brake. You have to dig your toes in the ground when you shoot it. Ha ha

I had a sporter weight 300 Weatherby, running a hex coated 230 Berger at 2900fps I shot it twice without a brake.
All I'm going to say is, there is massive amounts of blood in your eyebrow...

What is the total rifle weight?

I have an Edge with a 30" Sendero contour barrel, built to be what I considered the minimal practical long range rifle in the round. All up the rifle is 12.5lbs. It wears a moderately efficient brake selected to balance recoil moderation with minimizing blast to the shooter. It feels a bit lighter than a 300WM of similar weight without a brake. I would NOT consider shooting the rifle without the brake.

If I want to do stupid stunts I'll load my 7.5" BFR chambered in 45-70 with full power 405gr loads again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.