338 Edge Reloading...?'s

Earnhardt

OK, lots of newb questions here...so bear with me...

I've got one extremely accurate load for my 338 Edge...
285 Hornady ELD-M with 90 grains of H1000. normally in the .2's with 3 shot groups, .3-4's with 5 shot groups, when I do my part.
Vel. of ~ 2820
92 grains of H1000 pops primers
The load gets the best accuracy with the bullets kissing the lands.

Trying out some RL-33 to get the velocity up (yeah, yeah I know accuracy first...) Ive gotten up to 102 grains with the 285 ELD-M...
101 grains seems to be the most accurate and...but, the ES's with this powder gets a little large at times. Some of the groups the ES's are around 10 fps, other times its 20-30 fps.
The barrel heats up quicker with RL-33, so I take my take on my bench.
With 4 or 5 shot groups, I can normally get 3 of the 4 or 5 shots in a .2-.3 group and then there's a flyer or two... it's the 5 shot groups when the accuracy starts to get a little goofy...heat in the barrel I'd guess.
I need pointers...101 grains @ 2930-2950 has the best results, but there are flyers I'm trying to remedy. No hard bolt lift or other signs of pressure.

Pointers?...Jam or jump the bullets?
Find the point of barrel heat that the barrel can still work well in?

Next questions in regards to reloading...
Brass...I've nearly gone through 100 Bertram 338 Edge brass, and 100 re-sized Norma 300 RUM brass. I've gotten great results with both.
But at what point do I need to bump the shoulder back on the brass with this brass?
After once fired...two times fired...?

Thanks guys

My experience with RL 33 is that you can expect an increase in velocity and pressure with an increase in temps. If you are leaving a loaded round in a hot chamber for very long it could be the reason that you are having some flyers.
I have had my best luck bumping shoulders after every firing and annealing every other.

If you are shooting for groups for load development, wait 5min between EVERY shot and see if that eliminates "flyers". What is a "flyer"? How far out is it? It it's opening your groups to .5" then it's probably not a flyer, but just what happens when you put more shots in your group.

Your velocity is not unreasonable. I get 2970fps with Re33 and those bullets, I believe I am 0.02" off the lands for optimal accuracy. Personally I like Re33 and have had good luck with it.

I bump when the bolt close starts to get a little resistance. IMHO it doesn't hurt to kiss the shoulder back 0.002" each time if that floats your boat.

Firstly, I Partial FL Size every firing, I bump between .0015"-.004" for some rifles depending on usage.
Secondly, I find RE33 to be a tad slower than Retumbo for all intents and purposes.
I also find pressures to be less with this powder.
Thirdly, there is no hard and fast rule regarding jammed or jump, your rifle will tell you what it likes. I can run the 215gr Hybrid @ .130" from the rifling with groups in .1's for 10 shots @ 100.

Cheers.

Just throwing this out there. If your using Norma and Bertram brass make sure your not mixing them as case volume will be different and cause different pressures. Fill them up with water and weight them.

Just throwing this out there. If your using Norma and Bertram brass make sure your not mixing them as case volume will be different and cause different pressures. Fill them up with water and weight them.

Ya, I'm keeping the Bertram and Norma brass separate...

Thanks guys!

Tagging in. My 300 RUM barrel is toast. Changing it to a 338 Edge this fall. Those are good speeds with the 285 gr. How long is your barrel?

Have any of you tried RL26 in your edge i have on with a 30 inch tube pushing 300 bergers at an avg of 2845 and an es of 9 and WLRM primers. MY daughters edge pushes a 250 berger at an avg of 2996 and an es of 2 with WLRM primers

With 285 ELD-Ms...
I've only tried 3 powders...
H1000 very accurate
VV570...spotty performance, accuracy
and RL33, very fast and fairly accurate...but I need to put in more time/effort with loads

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.