338 Edge on Mark V Action

The fastest I shot it was 3048 fps... I dropped my load back to 3008 fps.. I had extractor marks at the 3048 load and brass life was going to be around 3 shots I thought. Backed the load down 1.5 grains and it seems fine... I am currently on my 4th firing on some of the brass with the 3008fps load and all is still good... I never got or even tried to get to 3080fps... I must of wrote a typo in one of my post above if I wrote that... Dave

Dave
:
Interesting on Remington brass, with my Kirby 338 Edge 28 bbl 90gr H1000 gives me the best accurate load with a ES of 20 at 2780 fps and only 4 reloads before the primer pockets go away.

Got some Bertran brass from Defensive Edge, test with 90 gr h1000 found 2810 FSP with ES down to 9-10, jumped to 91 gr fps 2880 ES 11, but accuracy went away.
So ending up with 90 gr h1000 fps 2780 load works for me. Another thing I have got 10 reloads out of Bertram brass and primer pockets are still good, expect to get 15 at least.:)

Charlie

This is with Reloader 33 not H1000... My old load with H1000 was somewhere around 2850 or real close... Dave

Everyone has there own opinions but to say a R700 action isn't strong enough for an Edge is just plain BS. Is the weatherby stronger Yes.. are there more edges bullt on R700 actions then all the other actions combined... I would think .. Yes... Have I heard of any horror stories of a 338 Blowing and action apart and into someones face like the poster above insinuates is going to happen ... NO... The weatherby action does not lend itself well when Bullets are loaded real long... the boltstop is a pin that goes up through the bottom and is not easily adjustable by the none gunsmith at home.. I guess you could see about slotting the hole... The bottom metal from the 378 lets you have ammo right at 3.810..I dont like having to pull the trigger as the bolt release to extract a long loaded live shell ... Petty differences??? Yes, If I was building an Edge I would use the 700 action or one of the clones over the weatherby if I had my choice.. If I owned the eatherby already I use it... Dave
That's not what I said, I insinuated nothing of the sort and your diatribe adds nothing useful to the discussion.

It's not my problem if you have a chip on your shoulder.

I hate to tell you but a 28 Nosler and a 338 Edge is based on the same brass and will have the same bolt lug load at the same psi. Pounds per square inch is the same if the bolt face diameter is the same.

I have a couple Remington's with 338 Lapua bolt faces and haven't had any issues. Remington sells a factory 338 Lapua and if they thought it was unsafe I doubt they would risk it. Why would you intentionally look for a lawsuit. Bolt lug set back happens at times but I haven't ever heard of one shearing the lugs off.
Gee, you think I might know what brass is what.....:D

The R700 is plenty strong enough. I'm good with that.

The Mark V and Vanguard are much stronger. Facts are facts, engineering, metallurgy and physics are indisputable.

That's not what I said, I insinuated nothing of the sort and your diatribe adds nothing useful to the discussion.

It's not my problem if you have a chip on your shoulder.

The Mark V and Vanguard are much stronger. Facts are facts, engineering, metallurgy and physics are indisputable.

Can you clarify the meaning of the comment below?

I would recommend against using an R700 action. I have/had one. Not really what I would want in my face with something that big. The Mark V action is as strong as they come. The R700 is now my 28Nosler where it shines much better.

That RL33 sure is great powder. I just tried out my new 338 ultra with 300 gr SMK's and it's running 2940 fps with a 28 inch barrel. Might be room to go a little faster no pressure issues at all on that load.Seems to add 100 fps to anything I have ever tried.

jfseaman are you on drugs or ???? when you write I had an R700 action and wouldn't want my face that close to it... what are people to take from that... As far as talking in circles anyone can see who is doing that... I gave my opinion just as you did... If you don't like it go cry somewhere else. I gave what I believe were all the good and bad points of what I think of the actions on a 338 Edge build...Thats what the original poster asked.. Dave

The point was you recommend a different action for a 338 Edge but say it's OK for a 28 Nosler which uses the same bolt face and they are based on the same case. If one is safe so is the other. PSI/lug load is based on the bolt face size not the caliber. To quote your dribble.....Facts are facts, engineering, metallurgy and physics are indisputable.

Like what was already said.......probably more 338 Edge's have been built on Remington 700's then all other actions combined. I personally wouldn't use a Weatherby action for anything because of the lack of stock selection and replacement triggers for what I do. For a few bucks more buy a Defiance or Stiller that will drop into a Remington stock and uses Remington triggers. Resale will always be better on a custom action too.

I can personally say that jfseaman cannot add anything to this post. His goal of being on here is not to show knowledge by providing something useful. Instead he is trying to buy knowledge and get people to think he is smarter than what he is by getting his post counter up.

Anyone that says a edge built on a Remington 700 is not suitable to put your face on to shoot it do to unsafe. Is what maybe I would call a tire kicker or a keyboard ninja. I wish I knew the amount of edges built on a 700 action compared to a mark v.

A couple of things I've noticed on this thread.
first jfseaman how have you not been banned yet? Every thread I see you a part of you are arguing and insulting people!
Second i think the guys running edges over 3000 fps even with 30" barrels and especially the guy running the 338 RUM with 28" are over pressure. I have been looking at the edge for a long time now and have talked with many shooters and a couple gunsmith that build these and not one of them have ever cone close to these. Even the DE plus p isn't running that.

A couple of things I've noticed on this thread.
first jfseaman how have you not been banned yet? Every thread I see you a part of you are arguing and insulting people!
Second i think the guys running edges over 3000 fps even with 30" barrels and especially the guy running the 338 RUM with 28" are over pressure. I have been looking at the edge for a long time now and have talked with many shooters and a couple gunsmith that build these and not one of them have ever cone close to these. Even the DE plus p isn't running that.

dgarrett was ran over my chronograph up to 3048 fps and it is happy at 3008 fps. But this is with rl33. The +p throats don't allow pressure to build up properly with rl33 so you cant really even expect this. If you get it great. But I will vouch for dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.