338 Edge - Match Brass - FINALLY!

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
After a couple of years of exploring options and testing samples we have finally found match quality brass for the 338 Edge. The sample I received was a sample of the first 7000 pieces so this is a run and not just a sample where the sample could differ from the run in terms of quality etc.

Testing 338 Edge brass sample:
REMINGTON FACTORY
Weighed 20 Remington factory cases:

Heavy – 278.8 grains
Light – 273.0 grains

ES – 5.8 grains

Primer pockets – tapered from .2115" to .2140"

Average H2O capacity of fired case – 114.3 grains

Head space of unfired brass – 3.012"
Head space of fired brass – 3.015"

SAMPLE

DEPICS489.jpg

Weighed 20 SAMPLE cases:

Heavy – 282.5 grains
Light – 280.2 grains

ES – 2.3 grains

Primer pockets – tapered from .2095" to .2110"

Average H2O capacity of fired case – 115.5 grains

Head space of unfired brass – 3.017" ( I sized this down to test but should be .003"-.005" shorter )

Load Testing:

Bullet: 300 grain Sierra Matchkings
Primer: CCI 250
OAL: 3.795" (2.975" w #2 comp)
Powder: H1000

90.0 gr 2886 fps – no pressure
91.0 gr 2896 fps – very faint ejector marks
92.0 gr 2952 fps – very faint ejector marks
93.0 gr 2989 fps – ejector mark, slight bolt lift resistance
94.0 gr 3015 fps – heavy ejector mark smearing, bolt lift resistance but still opened by finger lift

Durablity testing:

Test Load – 90 grains H1000, 300 SMK, 2863 fps average velocity, max safe load

Fired this load on the same case 20 times
Brass grows in length .002" or so each firing
Kept brass length between 2.820" and 2.835"
Primer pockets never loosened and detectable amount still good and tight after 20 firings.
Web stretched .001" on first firing and never went more.
It took 5 or 6 firings for the shoulder to "square" at the body shoulder junction (good stout brass).

338EDGECASEHEAD.png

Casehead after 20 firings - primer pockets still tight!!!

The brass is quite impressive and a vast improvement over the Remington or Nosler brass currently available to us. The only down side is the cost it will run $300.00 a 100 pieces. In the long run where Rem brass lasts around 5-6 firings with the pockets being loose afte 2-3 it is actually "the deal" as 100 pieces will last the life of the barrel. We are taking preorders for these but delivery dates are looking like 8-10 weeks for the first run.

Shawn

This is awesome news for the EDGE shooters. So no forming either, correct?

That is a little more than 338 Lapua brass but it sounds like it is up to Lapua quality. I can tell anyone first hand that buying good brass is money well spent and will prove to be the value down the road with longer life. Not to mention all the consistencies you have show with your test data. That is just icing on the cake. Great news Shawn.

Jeff

Thats impressive performance, who's the manufacturer? I am considering buying some and necking them down to 300 RUM since remington sucks IMHO.

Dang it took you a long time to fix the remington problem=Thanks:D
I had all but shelved the Edge due to being sick of recycleing brass!
So how is the best way to get put on the list?

Well done Shawn, I was wondering when you were going to make this public.

I have been testing this brass in secret (to most anyway) down here in Australia. A big thanks to forum member "Signature" for his efforts in promoting this project and to Bruce for his dedication to new and innovative ideas.

Bruce does almost all of his testing and project development out of his own pocket so please thank him by getting behind this and buying up heaps of .338 Edge brass.

BBedge.jpg

I see no mention of the "Lonsing" brass. Way cool that stuff.

edgecase11.JPG

What is the price per 100 set at?

I have been on the fence about the 338 edge for a year now.
The brass is quite impressive and a vast improvement over the Remington or Nosler brass currently available to us. The only down side is the cost it will run $300.00 a 100 pieces. In the long run where Rem brass lasts around 5-6 firings with the pockets being loose afte 2-3 it is actually "the deal" as 100 pieces will last the life of the barrel. We are taking preorders for these but delivery dates are looking like 8-10 weeks for the first run.
Shawn

Shawn,

During the 20 load test, were you doing any annealing to the case to get it to last that long?

Scot E.

If you are interested in some call me at the shop 208-687-2659, the was no work on the brass during the 20 shot test other than trimming the oal to be within specs. this stuff is awedsome. The "Lonsing" sample I already chambered and fired, PM me:D.

I am glad it has all worked out... About 9 to 12 months ago whilst ordering some muzzle brakes from Shawn I mentioned we may have the man in Australia that could actually make some really tough/good 338 Edge brass. I was already in receipt of some of his Lapua brass. Brass was always the sticking point with my EDGE. We pay $110.00 for 50 Remington 300 Rum cases here! Hence I went a 338 Lap AI for my last build prior to these EDGE cases being mufactured.

Finally t has all come together nicely to benefit all .338 Edge users.... Putting both Shawn and Bruce in direct contact with each other has finally paid off.

Its amazing how this brass is drawn through various labour intensive methods and
it involves a lot of work . I will endeavour to get some photos of Bruce in his workshop and some of the machinery in the new year.
The Edge headstamp also had to be specially made at Bruces's cost.

Don't forget BB makes a lot of other brass in different calibres for high end LR hunters and military use. .338 Snipetac , 375 Chey and 338 Lapua are just some of them.

Bruce's speciality though is making obsolete brass from scratch!

There may be a few other down under projects under way utilising some longer drawn Edge cases and possibly a new more compact style and efficent styled case for the 7mm brigade. Honestly how many wildcats do we need? The Edge ticks a lot of boxes! Again I'd like to exploit the standard magnum bolt face potential in a Dakota style case in the .30 cal and 7mm calibre utilising Aussie brass!

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.