.338 Edge loads

most use Rem, some use Nosler. there seems to be mixed reviews on the Nosler stuff. if you can't sort/prep brass good enough to make the Rem work, you probably won't get either to shoot well.

I've heard Nosler is supposed to make VG quality brass. Have you heard of problems with their brass? As of right now supplies of 300 RUM brass is about impossible to get. I've only come across one place that is supposed to have it. I think Federal is supposed to make the 300 RUM brass too.

you are correct in Federal does make the 300RUM brass but i don't think us regular folk can buy it any more. i believe it's only available to LE/military. not sure but that's what someone said on here a while back.

as far as Nosler goes, some have reported the primer pockets loose after 2 firings. it seems to be fairly soft and great to work with but doesn't like much pressure. most have said it's worked great for them. my feelings are it's a lot closer to Rem than it is Lapua!

If you want to use the very best brass in your 338 Edge, then locate and purchase some RWS 404 Jeffery brass. RWS doesn't manufacture 404 Jeffery brass any longer, but there is some to be found every now and then, and RWS brass is every bit as good as Lapua brass. You'll have to go through several neck sizing and neck / shoulder annealing processes to end up with 338 Edge brass, but 60 cases will likely last you as long as your rifle barrel does. RWS brass will take high pressure loads like Lapua brass without losing the primer pockets. Biggest problem is it can be difficult finding any of the 404 Jeffery RWS brass. I found and purchased 40 cases about 3 years ago - paid $2.50 per case at that time.

Yes, the 404 Jeffery rim is larger in diameter, but by such a small amount that the 404 Jeffery RWS brass functions fine in my M70 bolt action rifle without any modifications to the bolt face. I do use a 404 Jeffery shell holder rather than the standard winchester magnum cartridge shell holder when reloading. A 10-15 thousanths increase in case head diameter amounts to .005-.0075 inch increase in radius, and is within functional tolerance on my M70 bolt face. I've been using RWS brass in my 338 Imperial (identical to the 338 Edge except the measurement from the case head to the shoulder is 0.015" shorter in the Imperial than in the Edge) for the past 12 years. Now that my rifle action/barrel has been accurized, the barrel set back, and rechambered to 338 Edge, I'll be using the RWS brass in my current Edge chambering also.

If other's bolt faces did require modification, then you'd be looking at opening up the bolt face by about 0.005 inch around the outer edge of the bolt face. Mine didn't require any modification, and my RWS brass is every bit as tough and dimensionally uniform as 338 Lapua brass. I hesitated to even mention this option, because I don't want the competition for the remaining available 404 Jeffery RWS brass. Call me selfish... :D

404 Jeffery brass is what wildcatters had been using as the basis for RUM class wildcats for years prior to Remington's introduction of their current line of RUM cartridges.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.