338 EDGE in Detachable Magazines

M1AShooter

I am researching a 338 EDGE build and would prefer a detachable magazine setup. From what I've seen so far, I would need CIP-length magazines to allow longer seating of the bigger bullets. But here is what I'm not certain of...

My understanding is that the CIP-length magazines are designed around the 338 Lapua Magnum cartridge, and that the vertical rib in the magazine walls will interfere with loading 338 EDGE rounds due to it's longer case length to the shoulder. Is that understanding correct?

If so, are there magazines that will handle the 338 EDGE rounds without such interference? And if so, is there a specific maker of bottom metal that I would have to go with?

I've posed multiple questions, I know, so if I can boil it down to one simple question, which detachable magazine setup works best with the 338 EDGE (preferably without modifying the magazines)?

Thanks in advance!

If their was one thing different i would have done with my 338 lapua mag build.. it would have been a hinged floor plate. I have a seeking ext box mag.. i dont like the mags.. shooting prone is hard and in a hunting situation it really gets in the way.. just my 2 cent

I've been shooting M1As for years, mostly prone off a bipod, and I've never had any issues with the magzine getting in the way. Shooting an AR prone with a 30-rd magazine is another story. What kind of problems do you have with the magazine in your 338LM? Are you shooting from some other type of rest when prone?

Seekins Precision makes a DBM for the lapua that works with the rum case, single stack 3 or 5 round mags. 3.900" oal. do a web search.

Thanks Jim. I e-mailed Seekins and Wyatt earlier today asking about their setups, since both websites are a little lean on detailed information.

kaseyfied, can you provide more details about your disappointment with the Seekins?..

Any update on this post ?? I'm building a 338 Edge in a MPA chassis and will need a mag.

Any info will help

Accurate mag makes both saami (3.7xx) and cip (3.850) length mags set up specifically for 338 lapua, 300 rum (what you want for the 338 edge), 300 win mag family, and 30-06 family. The SSSF mags are aics compatible

Here's the link for the 300rum one. Just pick 3.850 for the overal length if you want a cip length mag, and then choose your capacity.

Accurate mag makes both saami (3.7xx) and cip (3.850) length mags set up specifically for 338 lapua, 300 rum (what you want for the 338 edge), 300 win mag family, and 30-06 family. The SSSF mags are aics compatible

Here's the link for the 300rum one. Just pick 3.850 for the overal length if you want a cip length mag, and then choose your capacity.

I use these with my 338 Edge with 300gr bullets, and the mags work perfect.

Thanks Deadeye1

What your COAL on your loaded ammo ?
To fit the mag box I had to stick to 3.745 overall length. I really like the mags, I use the 3 round mag for hunting because it is flush with the trigger guard, and I carry a 5 round as a reload for extras if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.