338 edge in a 26"?

338 LEGEND

Has any one shot the edge in a 26" barrel? if so what velocity did it produce? the reason I ask is because a friend is rechambering a 338 ultra and woundering what it will run.

Has any one shot the edge in a 26" barrel? if so what velocity did it produce? the reason I ask is because a friend is rechambering a 338 ultra and woundering what it will run.

II'm bettin' that to get any real performance difference between two cartridges in that same barrel he'll be droping in bullet weight and going to a faster burning powder.

My 338 RUM pushes the 300 SMK at 2735. That's plenty enough for LRH. However, it's not an Edge which easily gets another 150 FPS out of the same bullet in a 28" + barrel.

I don't think its worth the effort to rechamber the RUM to the Edge.

Just my opinion.

You may gain a litle out of an edge. I'm guessing you are going to stay 100+ fps anytime you put a RUM against and Edge. More powder always results in faster bullets. One thing about it.... once you have brass ready to go, you put a longer barrel on and your ready. Use the short barrel for practice, but I bet you won't regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.