338 EDGE-HOW MUCH BETTER IS IT ??

Down Under Hunter

Just wanting to get some peoples opinions on this calibre. What benefits does it have over other 338's ??

Would this be the next most potent 338 behind the AM and Snipe tac ??

What would be a good repeater platform, barrel type length to build one on ? I want to run nxs 5-22 scope combo.

Would it be cabable of making clean kills on 600 lbs deer out to 1000 yards ? If so what would be the bullet of choice to run ?

Many thanks
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Down Under Hunter,

The Edge is not the next most potent round under the AM. There are a couple of others. The 338-378 WBY and 338 Kahn are both slightly faster than the Edge as well as the 338-416 Rigby Imp. However the Edge is a much easier rifle to build as a repeater. In terms of build cost the Edge is cheape rto build and gives you more options to choose from. The standard Edge is built on a 30" tube and will launch a 300 gr SMk @ 2850-2900 depending on the individual rifle. I have taken game with mine out to 1038 yards on a bull elk. I have had other customers do even better, oneshot976 on LRH here took a whitetail last year at 1401 yards!!! hope this helps.

[ QUOTE ]

Would it be cabable of making clean kills on 600 lbs deer out to 1000 yards ? If so what would be the bullet of choice to run ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The big 338s have been well proven on elk in the US for many years and I dont see why a sambar would react any differently. If you can get a 50 pound rifle into your hunting area, lets find out how well a stag likes a 300gn Sierra at 2900fps.

50 POUNDS??? Are you hauling a Rail gun around? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Most of the rifles built by Shawn (correct me if I'm wrong) will come in under the 16 pound mark (to comply with the Idaho hunting rifle regulations).

I have recently attended Shawn's LR shooting class, and it was a hoot. Great time and my little pea shooter 280 did very well. But lets talk EDGE and first person eyewitness reports.

Well, Shawn's 338 is great for repeating rifles, and is portable. The brass is affordable enough to keep the rifle fed, and she hits way out yonder at 700, 800, even 1100 yards to impress any elk sized game.

Visually it seemed to me, that the EDGE slapped steel at these long distance like my little 280 might slap at the muzzle or maybe 100 yds distant.

We had to optically observe my long distance hits to see if I connected with the 7mm bullet. Not so with the EDGE, as the plates were all violently struck with tremendous slap from those 300 grain missles.

Probably the only thing disappointing about his EDGE is that you don't yet own one.

From someone with eyewitness, firsthand experiance.
Aaron W.

Sharpshooter,

Thanks for the review ! Wish we had Shaun out here in Aussie land. I really love the AM and snipetac but have the edge as a backup. Apparently it shoots a 300 smk at around 2900 with a 30" tube ? If anyone has some pics of their edge rifles I'd love to see 'em.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Screech, in my humble opinion, one is not over gunned unless he pulls a lanyard to fire it or it is self propelled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Overbore

[ QUOTE ]
50 POUNDS??? Are you hauling a Rail gun around? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, a 1000 competition rifle. I always intended to do some kind of hunting with it, but of course it would have to be a drive in proposition.

338%20Lapua%20imp.jpg

The standard Lapua will match the 338 Edge in performance and also does not need any fireforming which is one of the Edges main advantages.

Along with those mentioned, the 338 Lapua Improved and my 338 Allen Xpress will both add around 100 fps over the Edge, basically the same as the 338-378 Wby and Kahn.

If your looking to use a conventional sized receiver, Shawn is right on, the Edge is about as easy as it gets and you can get into a rifle more cost effective then modifying the receiver for the larger diameter chamberings.

If you are going with a custom receiver, the advantage this way is not as dramatic as you can just order the receiver with the larger bolt face with no problems and really no additional cost in the rifle.

You still come back on fireforming however. If you do not want to form your own cases, that leaves you with the Edge, Lapua, 338-378 Wby and my 338 AX as I am not forming cases for customers. Even though you do not have to form cases for the AX, it will cost extra to get them formed.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.