.338 edge freebore

how much freebore are you guy running in your edge on remington action running 300 grain SMK and Bergers? What OAL? Are you pulling bolt to eject loaded rounds? I am wanting to run Single shot so magazine is not a issue.

Thanks for the replies.

how much freebore are you guy running in your edge on remington action running 300 grain SMK and Bergers? What OAL? Are you pulling bolt to eject loaded rounds? I am wanting to run Single shot so magazine is not a issue.

Thanks for the replies.

I prefer .300 down to .200 free bore because it allows me to load hotter and lowers pressure
to achieve the velocity I want.

Standard free bore for a 338 RUM is .160 but it was not intended to shoot the 300 grain bullets.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Dave at PTG set me up with .148 FB. I load to 3.768". It feeds with the extended mag box from Brownells and this thing is a hammer.

Wayne

Thanks,

What OAL of the berger and Match Kings are you running?

I set up all of my rifles to max mag length that the action will take -.020 and don't worry about
specific bullet to land clearance, and find with proper load testing I can reduce group size
to below 2/10ths MOA or better and still run Max powder charges without encountering max
pressure.

Chamber and head space "Must" be minimum dimension for this to work but it can be done.

I find that Freebore and bullet jump can give me a very accurate and forgiving rifle that
does not tax the action in order to get velocity.

I am experimenting with a wildcat (Of my own design) and have already gone 6 grains over
the max listed load of Retumbo for an Edge with no heavy bolt lift or primer flattening. My free bore
in this chambering is .320 and all loads are just under 3.90 COAL.

I do adjust the COAL slightly to achieve the best accuracy but i never exceed the max mag
length.

It is Just the way I set up my hunting rifles.

J E CUSTOM

I have 2 338 edge's. Shawn Carlock built my first one and it is set up for .050 freebore with a 300 gr. SMK. My second is a heavy bench gun and i have the same bullet about .005 off the lands and am using 2 grs. more powder. I no pressure problems and can see no difference at all between them. I am using a 9.3 twist in my heavy gun and a 10 twist in my other.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.