338 Edge drop chart needed

Shaidon

Can anyone post a drop chart for the 338 edge shooting a 300 smk at 2830 fps, 65 deg. temp, and 3500' elevation, pretty much the standard load. I was shooting at about 700 yards slightly uphill, maybe 680 with the angel taken into acount, and was dialing 9.75 moa. The balistic program that I was using, Eskimo JBM, says I should dial about 13 moa for 700 yards. This seems to be huge difference. In order for me to get near 9.75 moa on the chart, I had to ender a BC of 880 and velocity of 3100. Also, are there any free, accurate programs online to get ahold of? Thanks for any help.

Sounds like the sight in distance you inputted into the program and your actual sight in range aren't the same!

Using your conditions and a 100 yd zero my program gives 13.3 MOA comeup. This program has worked accurately for my 7mm mag out to 600 yds. I think Bravo 4 had the right idea. What is your zero distance?
Another thing that happened to me the other day was a strong wind coming up a slope UNDER the bullet and lifting it. It meant I was 2 MOA high at 617 yds. I wonder if something like that was happening?

The JBM site has a free download called Al-Bal. I have used it and it gives results similar to JBM and my program. It also allows you to use G7 BC data as well.

Stu.

Ok, Im freakin out now! Im sure my rifle is sighted in at 100 yards and I have confirmed my 700 yard numbers at two totally different locations so Im sure wind could not be a factor. I really have no clue what is going on, I guess I will start by checking my velocities and 100 zero and go from there. Thanks guys

Ok, Im freakin out now! Im sure my rifle is sighted in at 100 yards and I have confirmed my 700 yard numbers at two totally different locations so Im sure wind could not be a factor. I really have no clue what is going on, I guess I will start by checking my velocities and 100 zero and go from there. Thanks guys

This is exactly why I like to zero my rifles at a longer distance, and then run the drop charts for further and closer. This way, I tend to get a more accurate zero (both horizontal and vertical) and any error in the drop chart is split between the estimates for closer distances and further distances. I've found the JBM numbers to be very accurate for the SMK for both my 338 Allen as well as my 338 Edge. I like the new G7 BC that Bryan Litz put up for the 300SMK better than the old G1.

AJ

My 338 EDGE chart has a 12.50 MOA adjustment for a 680yd shot with my 100yd zero

The BC of the 300SMK is better that quoted by the looks but exbal jigs around with the muzzle velocity instead to come up with final figures.

My MV was 2830 average over chrony but exbal calls it 2954fps to match up with the validating I have done so far.

I got to think that your zero is out.

So many guys are shooting the edge and most run exbal at around 2830 ish. My own rifle uses 2834 with sierra BC .768.

I think that the BC stated in exbal may be flattering as I know my MV is 2870 at the muzzle tested on the best Chronos in the world. But the above numbers work consistantly.

Persist with it cause when it comes together its a " sexual experience " ! Dial it and kill it !

If in doubt keep asking and guys here will all help iron it out .

DUH

Can anyone post a drop chart for the 338 edge shooting a 300 smk at 2830 fps, 65 deg. temp, and 3500' elevation, pretty much the standard load. I was shooting at about 700 yards slightly uphill, maybe 680 with the angel taken into acount, and was dialing 9.75 moa. The balistic program that I was using, Eskimo JBM, says I should dial about 13 moa for 700 yards. This seems to be huge difference. In order for me to get near 9.75 moa on the chart, I had to ender a BC of 880 and velocity of 3100. Also, are there any free, accurate programs online to get ahold of? Thanks for any help.

Your drop at 700 yards should be 480" or 40' and you velocity 655 ft/s with 286 ft/lb
Free software.. Hmmm you can always try emule but software is not free more like pirated, the only free stuff left now is cheese in mouse traps :D

Last edited:
Your drop at 700 yards should be 480" or 40' and you velocity 655 ft/s with 286 ft/lb
Free software.. Hmmm you can always try emule but software is not free more like pirated, the only free stuff left now is cheese in mouse traps :D

Where exactly did you pull those numbers from? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is very good free software available on the JBM website.

AJ

Where exactly did you pull those numbers from? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is very good free software available on the JBM website.

AJ

Didn't try JBM site, but I used Ballastic calculator by Lee and upps I made a mistake we are talking about 338 here and it calculated drop for 458 Win Mag dang :D

700 yards 106" drop 2034 ft/s 2,757 ft/lb 0.877 seconds

Last edited:
I got to think that your zero is out.

Persist with it cause when it comes together its a " sexual experience "

If in doubt keep asking and guys here will all help iron it out .

DUH

Hey DUH,

its a "Sexual Experience" :D:D

What sort of "Mono Pod" you got? I'm not sure I want to "iron it out" :D:D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.