338 Edge Dies

Black Squirrel

Hey, just wanted to see what everyone recommends for 338 edge dies.

I have been doing a lot of reading and have seen many different opinions and solutions:

1: 375 rum full length die + 338 neck sizer and bullet seater ~$75

2: RCBS neck sizer and bullet seater ~$150

3: RCBS full length die and bullet seater ~$150

4: Redding full length die and bullet seater ~$200

5: Defensive Edge full length and micro bullet seater ~$265

6: Redding full length, neck sizer, and bullet seater ~$310

I will be using the dies to neck up 300 ultra mag brass as well (new brass only)

Thanks

I'm running a Redding body die, Redding Type S Neck die and Redding seat die. This is the basic set up I use. If I was comp shooting, I would order a custom set from whidden, or use Forster.
I think this does everything I need. There are comp seater dies, but, I get consistent seating this way, so, no need.

Cheers.
gun)

When I first started loading for the 338 Edge I used RCBS 338 RUM dies until I got the Redding 338 Edge 2 die set from Shoot-Long, haven't used or needed any other dies for my Edge since,

I run Rem and Norma 300 Rum brass through the FL die then load n shoot .....
Also use Rem 7mm Rum brass but I run it through a Redding FL 300 Rum die first ...
Finally got some Bertram 338 Edge brass from Shawn Carlock but haven't loaded any yet, most likely will run through the 338 Edge FL die then load as usual ....

Shoot-Long | Redding Custom 2-Die Set 338 Edge (338/300 Ultra) Redding 80924

John Whidden makes a good set of dies. I have used Whidden dies for my Edge for several years and have not had any problems.

Randy

If you are using Bertram you probably want the bushing dies as some of mine are 0.016 neck thickness and my necked up RP brass is 0.0125. I would use a different size on those two, expander ball or not.

If you are using Bertram you probably want the bushing dies as some of mine are 0.016 neck thickness and my necked up RP brass is 0.0125. I would use a different size on those two, expander ball or not.

Strange....I see the opposite. The loaded round measurments on the Remington RUM brass is .002 BIGGER that the Bertrom brass. The Bertrom brass that I have is some of his first brass that he sold several years ago. my plans were to start using it when the PP's gave up on my Rem brass. Problem is......the PP's haven't yet given up compleatly yet. They have 8 firings on them now and are just starting to loosen up a bit.

I had some concerns because my reamer was ground using the the specs of the Rem brass to have a total of .003 total (.0015 per side) neck clearance. With the new Bertrom brass I am at .005 total (.0025 per side) clearance. I worried that it was to much.

I have 100 pieces of new Remington brass, I am not sure if/when I would buy DE's brass, it could be years. I think I'm going to order the standard Redding dies. I am well past my budget on this gun, I spent twice what I wanted to on the scope, and I have this brass here already, I can't see spending $125 more on the dies in case I want to spend $330 on brass. Even if I get 3 or 4 reloads out of this brass, that would probably carry me though 2017.

If you were on a budget and have gone over then just get the RCBS 338 RUM 2 die set and you'll be good to go, I did not notice any difference in accuracy from using those and the Redding 338 Edge dies, I load my ammo hot and after 3 shots the Rem brass pockets are toast and I don't have to worry about body sizing although I do have a Redding 300 RUM body die, something you might want to get if you are intent on prolonging brass life by downloading the Edge ( an unforgivable sin btw ) you will run into the need to size the body every other firing or so

I just ordered the Redding standard dies from shoot long. $160. Brian says he uses them to neck up his brass, and it does it almost effortlessly.

As far as loading, I am looking to push a 300gr berger to about 2850 fps (hopefully with retumbo, because I can't find h1000 anywhere).

If you were on a budget and have gone over then just get the RCBS 338 RUM 2 die set and you'll be good to go, I did not notice any difference in accuracy from using those and the Redding 338 Edge dies, I load my ammo hot and after 3 shots the Rem brass pockets are toast and I don't have to worry about body sizing although I do have a Redding 300 RUM body die, something you might want to get if you are intent on prolonging brass life by downloading the Edge ( an unforgivable sin btw ) you will run into the need to size the body every other firing or so

Swamplord,

I am not 100% sure, but I think that the neck clearance in a 300 RUM body die is WAY south of 338. If you run your 338 brass through the 300 RUM die it will neck it down close to .308. I know I have several body dies in different calibers. When i neck 6.5-47 L brass down to 6 mm ,the first thing I do is run them through the 6-6.5-47 body die and that smoothly reduces the neck diameter way down. Same with making a Dasher case...neck the 6mmBR case up to .257 and then run it through the body die to take it most of the way back down. I recently expanded my 6.5-284 brass up to .277 because of what I thought to be excessive headspace on new brass. Took them most of the way back down with the body die. I then finished the job with the neck die to create a false sholder.

I would run ONE through and check it.

Tod

I bought the redding set from defensive edge. I also bought a wilson in line bullet seater blank and ran the reamer through it. Now i have no use for the bullet seater defensive edge sent me so if anyone wants to buy it P.M. me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts