338 Edge Dies and Brass Prep

Educated Redneck

Can I form 338 Edge brass with the following steps?

Using 300 RUM brass:
1. 375 RUM FL die with expander/decapper removed to form the body
2. 338 RUM bushing type neck sizing die with .364" bushing backed out 0.09" to form just the neck and shoulder
3. 338 RUM micrometer seater

Help. Where is my thinking flawed? Also, which step would one use the expander in? Could step 2 also be done or preferred with a 338 RUM FL die set 0.09" off as to not bump the shoulder?

Mind you I'm a beginner, but this seems like a more economical and readily available system to the custom 338 Edge redding competition dies sets.

Can I form 338 Edge brass with the following steps?

Using 300 RUM brass:
1. 375 RUM FL die with expander/decapper removed to form the body
2. 338 RUM bushing type neck sizing die with .364" bushing backed out 0.09" to form just the neck and shoulder
3. 338 RUM micrometer seater

Help. Where is my thinking flawed? Also, which step would one use the expander in? Could step 2 also be done or preferred with a 338 RUM FL die set 0.09" off as to not bump the shoulder?

Mind you I'm a beginner, but this seems like a more economical and readily available system to the custom 338 Edge redding competition dies sets.

I used 300RUM brass and ran it through a 338 RUM FL die backed out enough to not touch the shoulder and it had a tapered expander .338

probably not the best way to do it, but it worked fine for my edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.