338 edge build

Idweld

hello to everyone. I found this site while i was looking into the 338 edge and decided i should sign up to pick up some knowledge about my current rifle build. I am looking to build a 338 edge, there are a lot of questions i am finding that i have the further i dive in this gun. I have already ordered a barrel, a Hart 30 inch number 5.5 with 1/10 twist. I will also be ordering a painkiller brake. Two major questions though, i would like to get an older rem 700 action for the gun but am not 100% sure on what to buy. Any input on that would be a great help. Also i can't decide on a stock for the rifle, any recomendations would be appriciated.

hello to everyone. I found this site while i was looking into the 338 edge and decided i should sign up to pick up some knowledge about my current rifle build. I am looking to build a 338 edge, there are a lot of questions i am finding that i have the further i dive in this gun. I have already ordered a barrel, a Hart 30 inch number 5.5 with 1/10 twist. I will also be ordering a painkiller brake. Two major questions though, i would like to get an older rem 700 action for the gun but am not 100% sure on what to buy. Any input on that would be a great help. Also i can't decide on a stock for the rifle, any recomendations would be appriciated.

Welcome, couple questions to better help you out.

1) If you can afford it, get a custom action that is the same size as the 700 Rem. They are square and require none of the accurizing that an actual Remington does.

2) As far as stock, what type of shooting are you planning? Bench, hunting, all around etc. How heavy are you planning to make the rifle

AJ

thanks for the reply. as far as custom actions go the only ones i have found are a bit out of my initial budget, but i can modify that. Are there some places online i can find a good action? The reson i was looking for an older one was my gunsmith belives they are slightley better but i would buy whatever is the best for this project. The stock i am looking for would be used for hunting mostley but i like the feel of the tactical stocks, somthing similer to a manners t2. I am also wanting the gun to weigh in around 14 pounds. I am in Idaho so i need to keep it under 16 to hunt with.

What bottom Metal are you going to use? That will be an additional consideration, unless you're making it a single shot.

As far as custom actions, Allen Precision, BAT Machine, Borden, Stiller and I'm sure others.

They all offer Remington 700 actions, probably be able to find a VERY strong VERY straight action in the $900-1300 range, but will require zero gunsmithing dollars to make it ready to go.

As far as stocks, check out McMillen, Manners, Brown Precision, ...

AJ

Thanks for the info AJ. I think I may scrub my current plans. Do some siphering, and start over.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.