338 Edge Build

AJBello

Im currently gathering parts for a 338 build and want to seek some additional input on here. This rifle will be used for LR elk hunting (600-1000 or so), as well as LR target play (as far as I can stretch it). It may also be used for mule deer occasionally but my 700 LTR .308 is my main deer rifle for the columbian blacktail that I usually hunt.

Here's what I have ordered or in hand already:
-Kreiger .338 1:10 twist stainless, MTU contour with (6) 1/4" flutes, 30" finished length.
-McM A5 with KMW adjustable cheek, swirl finish 50% OD, 25% tan, 25% black, R700 LA footprint, Seekins DBM inlet, sniper fill.
-Seekins Precision DBM with (2) mags, 3.94" COAL.
-R700 Sendero II barreled action (was a 300 RUM)
-Badger 20MOA R700 base

What I still need to get (input very much welcomed):
-Rifle Basix trigger to replace the X mark
-Muzzle Brake. At this point I'm leaning towards the APA "fat bastard" (American Precision Arms - FB (Fat Bastard) brake)
-Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50, MLR reticle, mil adjustments with zerostop.
-Rings, pretty much set on Seekins Precision.

Louisiana Precision Rifles (Louisiana Precision Rifles LLC.) is doing the build. I've had him do some work on an FN SPR previously and was really happy with the results. I hope to have all the parts in hand by mid April and ship them off to him. The turnaround on his end will probably be 1-2 months, which will leave me pretty much the entire summer to do load development and get familiar with it in time for elk season (November). That's the plan anyway :D.

I've read a ton on the Edge, and am happy on settling with that over the lapua. I already had the Sendero so using that action as a base seemed like a good idea. I'll try and keep this post updated as the build goes along. Some of the things I'm currently wondering:

-Re 300 RUM brass in loading for the Edge, has anyone tried other than Rem (Nosler?), and was there a noticeable quality / accuracy difference? If so, anyone know where I can find some? Everyone appears to be out of the Nosler 300 RUM.

-Is anyone else using the Seekins DBM system? How is it working out, feeding, etc? I'm really impressed with it's appearance and feel, and really like the added flexibility with the 3.94" COAL.

-Anyone have any pics of a similar setup? I'm really curious how the MTU Kreiger with heavy flutes will end up looking like.

-General critiques of the build plan.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have the makings of a very nice rig. You might want to consider the APS muzzle brake by Allen Kirby and possibly the NF NP-R1 recticle. Nosler Brass will work try the link below:

Blue Star Cartridge & Brass

Don't forget a recoil lug and a set of dies. I am also in the process of an Edge build. I think I will use the Fat Bastard as well. Do you have your barrel yet? Curious to know what it weighs. Mine is a 30" Rock MTU fluted.

Sounds like you have the makings of a very nice rig. You might want to consider the APS muzzle brake by Allen Kirby and possibly the NF NP-R1 recticle. Nosler Brass will work try the link below:

Blue Star Cartridge & Brass

Thanks for the input. I looked at the APS brake, but am thinking at this point I prefer the aesthetics of the FB brake (as opposed to the howitzer type APS). From the reading I've done both are *extremely* effective and it would be tough to go wrong with either.

Regarding the NF reticle, I think I'm going to make the switch to mil / mil reticles and adjustments, thus the MLR choice. I've had a NPR1 in a 3.5-15 before, and really wasn't crazy about it. I've got a buddy I shoot with that has an MLR and I like it. I'm also looking at a NF 2.5-10x32 mil-dot / mil for my R700 LTR 308 as well...

I went to the link you provided, didn't see any Nosler brass, just Remington...?

Don't forget a recoil lug and a set of dies. I am also in the process of an Edge build. I think I will use the Fat Bastard as well. Do you have your barrel yet? Curious to know what it weighs. Mine is a 30" Rock MTU fluted.

Ah yes, recoil lug. The gunsmith is furnishing that so I just tend to forget about it. I intend to give Shawn Carlock a call for some dies, I'm told he stocks the actual 338 Edge dies? (Yes, I know you can use 338 RUM dies... I'd just rather have the Edge marked on there, call it piece of mind or whatever).

I don't have the barrel yet. I ordered it late last month with an expected delivery in April. It will probably be the last piece I'm waiting on. I should have the McM stock in March, and already have the Seekins DBM in hand. I should call and order the FB brake soon, once I make up my mind 100%...

With doing some really rough guesstimation I think the barrel weight will be about 7 pounds. That's what Kreiger lists their standard MTU at, with a 27" length. I'm thinking the extra 3" of barrel will probably cancel out the fluting, leaving me with around the 7 pound standard weight. Im not too concerned with the weight on this build as if I ever pack it, it won't be for very far, or very often.

It's up to you but 300 rum brass is hard to come by so IMHO I'd go with either. Also either way with the reticles you can't go wrong with a NF. Keep us posted as your build moves along...Pics are always welcome.:)

You might consider a Jewel trigger instead of the Rifle Basix. About $100 more but to hear folks who have used both, more than worth the extra cost. I've also heard about a few quality control issues with the Rifle Basix, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Sounds like it will be an awesome rig!

I got my dies yesterday from Defensive Edge. They are Redding dies modified to 338Edge. The box is marked 338 Edge, dies are 338 ultra and 300 ultra. Full length S Bushing die and Micro seater. Rock thought my barrel would be 6-6.5 lbs. I was going to use the Badger FTE brake, but they are just too ugly! That's all I need to purchase for my build. What bullets are you planning on using?

For now I plan on using the 300 SMKs.

Obviously I'm looking forward to the .338 Bergers, but I'm not holding my breath for their release. It would be nice if they were out by the time I had the build done...

Incidentally, the Bergers were one of the big reasons I opted for the Seekins DBM. From what I've read they will be longer than the SMKs, and I think that's where the 3.94" mag length will be great.

You might consider a Jewel trigger instead of the Rifle Basix. About $100 more but to hear folks who have used both, more than worth the extra cost. I've also heard about a few quality control issues with the Rifle Basix, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Sounds like it will be an awesome rig!

Hmmm, I had a Rifle Basix on an FN bolt gun and man that was a nice trigger. It is a totally different design than a Remington I guess though. Honestly the X Mark that is on the Sendero right now feels pretty good. I had a local smith take it down to about 2-3 pounds and it breaks really nice with no creep. I just figured that it would be a good time to upgrade while everything else was being done.

I have the jewell set @1 3/4#s got to be carefull and not chamber till your ready to shoot but it's pure delight. I've not ever pulled a rifel basics but any more customs for myself will for sure have a jewell.
As for the break that fat basturd looks like it will do a fine job but the aps painkiller has the addition of the top port holes it may hold down the jump a little better ?? my aps looks & preforms great.

Hey, do yourself a favor and go with the fat-bastard brake. I have one on my 338 Lapua and its a big-ol baby now. That brake rules!! Don't forget your hearing protection though!! Also, I would forget about the rifle-basix trigger and go with a jewell. Rifle-basix triggers are a fine addition to any rifle, but I personally believe the jewell to be a bit better. Just ask any 1000yd benchrest competitor what they prefer. From what I can tell, you have a fine rifle headed your way...

Cinch, that sounds like a sweet set of dies you got from Shawn and with the micro seater...nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.