338 Edge barrel life

canyonman1

I would like to know what Edge shooters are getting for shot count on their barrels before they go south. Please include your bullet, velocity and round count, and barrel manufacturer.

I have 1,610 through a 30" SS Pac-Nor super match. It's been Cryo'd and only cleaned every 200 rounds. It launches 300 gr. Lapua's at 2,855.
When new I shot .256" 3 shot @ 100 yds. off of a concrete bench.
Today I shot .447" @ 100 yds. off of bi-pod on the ground in the wind and rain as fast as I could get on target.

th_group.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the late 90's and up until the 338 ultramag came out I built 75-100 338-300 ultramags for elk hunters in Colorado and then later in the southeastern US. I still hear from a number of those guys and I have not heard of one being shot out. I still have two personal rifles that I built during that period and they still shoot great. I have no idea the round count on any of these guys rifles but it is safe to say the 338-300 ultramag barrels have very long life in comparison to smaller caliber long range rifles. All these guys shot different bullet weights from 200-300 grains with velocities from 2750- 3350 fps with several different powders. Some of the loads I found to be very good they discontinued the powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.