338 edge barrel length

bsnyder

For those of you running an edge what is your ideal barrel length? im getting ready to order on and im stuck trying to figure the pros and cons of a 28 in vs a 30 or 32. Thank in advance.

Every Edge I have had has had a 30 inch barrel... These were all heavy palma types... A break will add another 2 plus inches... These are 16 lb rifles ... Great for off the bench or right out the truck prone.... But would be obnoxious for a rifle you had to pack... The one that makes a 30-32 inch barrel ok for length but still heavy is the DE..... LRKM with its bullpup design... Weight is not the only consideration in a hunting rifle... The long barrels suck just as bad as the weight... Hitting branches over your head, knocking snow down our neck. just not easy to yield. And if you don't have a full size truck it will not fit sideways and lay on the back seat... Next Edge I have built will have a 30 inch carbon wrapped barrel... Its only been on the wish lost for 3 years now...I will probably cuss the loing barrel on it to.

My current Edge is a 30 inch also...This was Shawn Carlocks Utube rifle... His load was 2830 fps with H1000...The load I use is 2935 fps with reloader 33 and the 300gr OTM's.. Others I have had ran right up to 2980-3000fps...

Sounds like 30 inches in its. My last 300 rum was 291/2 yes it wasn't the most fun to hike around but I seriously loved that gun. Thanks for the replies.

I have a 34" Edge my shooting buddy makes fun of me all the time "I see you brought your Musket with you" I can't argue he kinda has a point. Hey there is enough meat on that thing I will be able to reset or rethroat that barrel at least 17 times if I live that long.LOL

Dean

LOL i ordered a 31 inch this afternoon. so now starts the battle to find dies and continue stocking up on N570.

I ran a 28" first, when it burned out, I put a 30" on mine.
I was happy with the 30" more so than the 28".

Cheers.

338 RUM with 30" barrel - will push the 285 Amax to 2945 with a case full of H1000. I put this together for a long range toy that might occasionally see some late season cow elk hunting. Definitely not packing this forever!
FB8CB99C-9733-4425-B815-7CE589261896.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.