338 EDGE at 3042fps !!!!!!!

300rum

HI,

I need input from 338 edge users.
I used my old trusted load for my edge 93.5gr H1000 with 250CCI M Primers on rem cases behind a 300SMK bullet for long time.

Speed of the load is 2870fps for more then 2 years with 0.5MOA group.
I get the primers, powder, cases at bulk quantity to last for 2 years.

Recently I run out of H1000 old powder and I got another 16lb few week ago.
So I reload my old load (please note the load was mild, 96g of H1000 was neat hot load) so 93.5g with new powder batch #4826 supposed to be ok.
I reload 10 rounds and headed to range to verified the pressure and group
at 200yrds I got the following group
3042fps-338edge.jpg

So, I aimed at 780yrds and took 2 shoots. I was hitting very high.
Did trajectory validation on Exball and from 2870fps I jump at 3042fps speed.
I could not believed. No pressure signs, no marks on head case.
With new trajectory validation and new speed on Exbal I aimed at 1200yrds and i got hit after hit on metal plate.
I'm very surprised to get 3042fps on 338edge (rock 30in barrel)

Did somebody else encounter the same problem with the new batch of H1000 powder?
I have to head back shooting next week with the same load to make sure will hold the speed and group.

I used to load 93 grains of H1000 and with the new batch I had to back down to 89 grains. More pressure and less velocity. I'm thinking about trying Retumbo.

Thank you for replays.

I know it about high pressure on new batch of Hogdon Powder.
Nothing to complain about.
It is just unusual to get 3000+ fps on 338edge rifle with good grouping and not signs of pressure pushing 300SMK's.

My question is if will float and not being just a unfortunately event.
I was hoping somebody else got 3000 + fps on edge with sub MOA or better grouping.

Anyway I will have to get out shooting the same load to repeat the findings.
I will post in few days the new shooting results.

I did many 338-300 RUM's from 1998-2001 and never had one get anywhere near 3000 fps safely. I think you are way over pressure but strange things can happen. I would be careful. I would never have believed some of the rifles I have right now so I know strange things can happen.

The last couple batches of H1000 I've bought have had a velocity difference of about 100 fps (from 2750-2850) with 90gr. Unfortunately mine went down from when I first started using this load. The good thing is that accuracy doesn't vary much at all, and as long as the shot to shot velocity spread doesn't get screwy on me i'll keep loading the same. You've got me wanting to go get a new batch.:D
I would take 3,000+ any day, but like LTLR said- I'd be leary of pressures. That's a step up in cartridge size. Nothing is free in this world.

Thank you for replays.

I know it about high pressure on new batch of Hogdon Powder.
Nothing to complain about.
It is just unusual to get 3000+ fps on 338edge rifle with good grouping and not signs of pressure pushing 300SMK's.

My question is if will float and not being just a unfortunately event.
I was hoping somebody else got 3000 + fps on edge with sub MOA or better grouping.

Anyway I will have to get out shooting the same load to repeat the findings.
I will post in few days the new shooting results.

Sorry 300rum, I had not seen what you wrote under the target picture initially. So I probably didn't help you out at all. Jon

Yes, that is my worry too. So i will repeat the test with 20 rounds next week and i will look for pressure signs.

The thing is my rock creek barell is 30in in 1-9.4 twist, COAL is 3.874 and even with old batch of 96gr H1000 i was close to max load.

It is strange so i will keep my head up for any signs of overpressure and repeat the tests.
Thank you for let me know about your findings.

You have a long barrel and a relatively long throat. Rock barrels tend to run on the faster then average side as well. I have built ALOT of Edge rifles and while on average I would say a 30" barrel length will get you into that 2850-2900 fps range more often then not. That said, I have had a few rifles that would break 3000 fps with seemingly comfortable pressures.

Personally, I do not like to see +3000 fps from this chambering. Would feel better dropping things down to around 2950 fps. Even better brass life and extra margin of error on safety.

The comment about Edges generally not shooting well at near 3000 fps seems a bit odd to me. From what I have seen, at least with full custom built rifles, accuracy generally improves as pressure builds with accuracy getting even better as pressures go far over where you should be. This is why its common or guys to get into trouble. While the rifles shoot very well at comfortable levels, they want the extra FPS and then see very impressive accuracy and want the best of both worlds. That is not the best thing to do. At long range the accuracy difference, as long as velocity spreads are tight, will be nearly impossible to see.

Just to be on the safe side I would step back 75 fps at least.

I know that H-1000 has been the STANDARD for the Edge all along but I find it amazing why more guys do not use Retumbo. I have found this powder to be better then H-1000 in nearly every way or at least matching H-1000. Seems to be more consistant in burn rate now days, slightly higher load densities, less ability to over pressure your loads and produces a bit more velocity.

Some have said they can not get the velocity consistancy they can with H-1000 but in my experience, there is not much to this. Now if you want to brag about 8 fps spreads, then you may have something but if you can live with 10 to 20 fps spreads you will NEVER see a difference down range. In spite of what some would want many of us to believe, a mid teen velocity spread will shoot just as tightly as an 8 fps spread at long range. Variations in shooting conditions and simply the shooters ability to be consistant will make MUCH more difference then then the velocity spreads.

Have always felt H-1000 was just a bit fast in burn rate with the Edge, especially a long throated Edge where Retumbo really comes into its own with higher load densities.

Its possible that you have a fast barrel. We run 2920 with 93 gr H1000 in our 31" barrels with the SMK, and 2965 with the Berger using the same load. Most of my guys with 30" barrel builds are right at 2900 with the same load. No pressure at all and getting 7-9 loadings on a case. Accuracy is well under the 1/2 moa mark at the higher speeds. I have run mine up close to 3000 with 95gr h1000, but dropped it back just to be safe. We run Broughton's which are on par with the Rock barrels as being a little faster. I saw you had a longer OAL listed, if you are closer to the lands your speed will increase also.

Hi Everybody,

Finaly I got a day off from work and I was able to go out shooting again my Edge to verify my last load at 3042fps.

I load 93.26gr (3 rounds)
200yrds
h1000
300SMK
93.26gr
Group - 0.80in at 200yrds
9326grH1000200yrds.jpg

Goup was good

Then I load 93.5 H1000 the same as last time and got 3 bullets on 0.75in @200yrds
200yrds
H1000
300SMK
93.5gr
Group - 0.75in at 200yrds
935grH1000200yrds.jpg

Group was good, speed at 3042fps as last time.
Primer almost flatened ( not yet at the max load)

I will start shooting this load for a while to see how manny reloading I can get from a case, and also watching for pressure sings..
Next week I will try 93.5 gr H1000 @3042fps with 300SMK at 1000yrds and 1600yrds to see how will perform at extreme distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.