338 Edge at 2000 Yards

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Went to do some testing yesterday at 2000 yards, 3684', 47% RH, 67 deg, 26.05 BAR. Issue #1 was no range finding ability with the Swaro range finder, so going to the next best thing I pulled up Google earth on my lap top and used the measuring function to get 2003 yards to our 18" square plate, a small target for sure. After inputing all of the atmo data in the Recon PC issue # 2 reared its ugly head, not enough elevation adjustment with the 20 moa rail on the BAT receiver and 5.5-22 NXS scope, we were calling 74.50 moa and running out at 65 moa. So I dialed in 64.50 and held 10 moa on the NPR1 reticule to correct. On the first shot I fired, I recovered from the slight recoil to wait almost 2.5-3.0 seconds to watch the bullet impact .5 moa left and 1.0 moa low. I made the corrections and fired several more shots before connecting with the plate that was about .85 moa in size on shot 13. On shots 2-12 I never missed the plate by more than 6-7 inches in a "U" shped pattern around the plate. Total group size after the first shot was about 30-32 inches or 1.5 moa mostly in windage group elevation was around 1.0 moa. Even being pretty pleased with the performance it was an exercise in what is beyond hunting distance in terms of accuracy. An interesting note that the bullets were impacting the target area at around 1140 fps or so and we found several whole bullets lying on the ground at the target. The ground was pretty rocky and the entry angle from the extreme drop of 130+ feet kept the bullets right around the target. Another interesting note was that the wind at this distance moves the bullet 1.0 moa for every 1 mph. Obviously this makes reading the wind "the whole game". When was the last time you misread the wind by 1 mph and had a miss of 20"? We have plans to shoot groups at this distance very soon on paper to see actual group sizes etc. I will post pictures of the results.

That sounds interesting. Just out of curiousity, have you found 1 quarter inch click to be to much or to less for shots at 1000yrds? We came across this issue yesterday holding dead on. One click up would put right above the steel and one click down would put it under the steel. We ended up staying one click low and holding a little high.

Tank

That is mind-boggling!
Just imagine if you told people that 10-20 years ago you would have been told that "You will stretch your barrel shooting that far" Might be one way to turn a 26" in to a 30".:D

Stu.

Tank,

I have found the .25 moa clicks to be just fine. At 1000 yards that is about 2.5 " a click. The only way that would not be fine enough is if you have a 1000 yard 3 inch shooting rifle and were shooitng at targets in the 4 inch range. I believe that the idea that .25 moa clicks are not fine enough for big distances is more theory than practical application.

Keep up the good work!!!
Those are incredible distances you are shooting at. Never even thought of trying to shoot that far. I agree with Michael Eichele: you are in an ELITE LEAGUE.
Would like to see the pictures of the paper targets at that range to see how you group them.
How much of structural damage did you see on the bullets that were sitting in the dirt by your target? Do you have pictures of them?

Thanks for posting.

Here are some of the bullets recovered at the target. The steep angle of approach to the target coupled with the angle of the hillside made for a nearly flat impact/ Impact velocity should have been around 1140 fps.

2000%20YD%20FRAG.JPG

Last edited: