338 edge, 235gr SOLIDS, starting point?

groper

ive got some 235gr monolithic solids to try in my 338 edge. Published BC is .82 and they are 47.8mm long, so i figure if i can push em real fast, ballistically they should be very impressive :D

my rifle has a 31" bbl and i have some H1000 to play with, what i need to know is roughly how much powder will it need? i cant seem to find much info using such a light projectile...

what you guys reckon?

If you used the load for a 250 grain lead core bullet, that would give you a safety margin.

Maybe try 94 grains of H1000 to start with? what do others think?

Faced with your delemma a while back myself when I wanted a faster burning powder than all the data shown, I used 338 Rum data. Started midway in the data and moved up watching my chrony.

I would do as topshot suggested and use the 250 grain data and work up.

Neal

heres a link to the projectiles btw... Home

they are a tapered bullet with some engraving bands, ive been told they are no good for hunting tho, ill see how they go at the range.

so for a 250gr bullet i should be able to go 94-99grns h1000? does that sound right?

heres a link to the projectiles btw... Home

they are a tapered bullet with some engraving bands, ive been told they are no good for hunting tho, ill see how they go at the range.

so for a 250gr bullet i should be able to go 94-99grns h1000? does that sound right?

Groper,

I have actually shot those projectiles. They are good Aussie projectiles.
I got a box and tried them out of my .338WM and found them quite accurate but others have had different results.
My .338WM has had over 1000 shots through it so I didn't mind running them through it. I have not been game to run them through the new barrel on my .338 Edge however.

I would start at no more than 94 grains of H1000 with the .338Edge if I was starting to work up a load.

With the .338WM I found that they left more metal deposit inside the barrel than standard projectiles and it took a bit to get out. Also pressure was a bit higher so loads were backed off a bit. They do leave nice gold coloured splat marks on the steel gong!:)

When you load them, follow the makers instructions from their web site and make sure that the top driving band is suported with the case mouth. If not accuracy may suffer.

Let us know of your results.

ok i just shot some of these today from my 338 edge @ 700yds and this is what i ended up with...

rifle has 30in barrel, zero wasnt changed at all from my 300gr SMK @ 2940fps zero.

loaded the predator solids with 97gr h1000 (AR 2217) claimed BC = 0.82 for 235gr .338 pill.

@ 700yds i needed 2.3mils elevation to be zeroed at this range, the 300SMK needed 3.2mils (my 2940fps load)

when i use their clamied BC of .82, that means the projectile was somwhere near 3400fps! i know this calc has some error due to the fact that it was not zeroed at 200yds like the SMK load, but still, alot of difference in required elevation at 700yds between the 2 loads as you can see.

There was no pressure signs at this level, and i shot some more with 98grs powder and still no pressure signs. Im sure i could probably go upto 100grs without too much trouble.

best group today was the 97gr load, 4inches @ 700yds. Not bad value @ $60AUD per 50 projectiles.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts