338 Cast bullets

Bob J

Have had great success with cast bullets in many of my rifles and handguns but have very little experience beyond 200 yards or so.... The biggest round I currently cast is an 850 grain 50 BMG bullet which makes me think that I might have success with a 338 in an Edge that I just bought....

Anyway, have signed up on an interest thread for a custom mould for a high BC 300 grain gas checked cast bullet over on the cast boolits site.

What about 339365? - Cast Boolits

If we get enough interest and I get this mould will publish my results...

Have had great success with cast bullets in many of my rifles and handguns but have very little experience beyond 200 yards or so.... The biggest round I currently cast is an 850 grain 50 BMG bullet which makes me think that I might have success with a 338 in an Edge that I just bought....

Anyway, have signed up on an interest thread for a custom mould for a high BC 300 grain gas checked cast bullet over on the cast boolits site.

What about 339365? - Cast Boolits

just about every .338 that I can think has way too much velocity for cast lead bullets. There was a wildcat many years ago called the .338 woodswalker, and this one might work. Barrels start to lead up real bad at about 2000fps
gary

Thanks Gary..... Fastest I've pushed anything is around 1800 fps (500 mag) so admit this would be tough.... Beyond that is new ground for me but thought it worth a shot....

just about every .338 that I can think has way too much velocity for cast lead bullets. There was a wildcat many years ago called the .338 woodswalker, and this one might work. Barrels start to lead up real bad at about 2000fps
gary

If we get enough interest and I get this mould will publish my results...[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in your results. When I cast it's .375, and short range though.

Last edited:

I'd be interested in your results. When I cast it's .375, and short range though.

Was thinking the same thing...... Sized big for the barrel, gas checked and cast hard (water dropped linotype).... I thought it would be interesting to see how fast I could push it and still keep a decent accuracy for shorter ranges...

Bob

Thanks Gary..... Fastest I've pushed anything is around 1800 fps (500 mag) so admit this would be tough.... Beyond that is new ground for me but thought it worth a shot....

somewhere around the house I have the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual, and I'll try to find it. Still I think the best chance would be a very heavy bullet with a gas check at around 1800fps. Anybody make a 500 grain mold? I fire form my 30 Herrett cases with 170 grain cast lead bullets, and get leading after about fifteen firings, and the velocity was well below 1800fps. I'm sure some of it is from barrel heat build up.
gary

Hi Gary
I have that reference as well..... Great book! I use quickload for my initial load development as well as max limits but will cross reference with the Lyman manual just to be safe....;- )

The only leading I've ever had is when I undersize a bullet..... The lesson for me was to slug the barrel and size accordingly.... This will be a fun experiment once I get everything in place....gun)

Bob

somewhere around the house I have the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual, and I'll try to find it. Still I think the best chance would be a very heavy bullet with a gas check at around 1800fps. Anybody make a 500 grain mold? I fire form my 30 Herrett cases with 170 grain cast lead bullets, and get leading after about fifteen firings, and the velocity was well below 1800fps. I'm sure some of it is from barrel heat build up.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts