338 cartridges

I am not sure if I was the first one or not. I built the first one in fall 2000. I am pretty sure I was the first one to mate the 300 gr bullet, 338 EDGE, and a tactical platform together. Since that first one I have tweeked and tuned little things but the overall concept is still the same as day one. I built 17 of them last year and will top that this year.

8.59mm Titan

Lazzeroni designed the 8.59mm (.338) Titan in 1994. It is based on a very large case that is proprietary to Lazzeroni. This case is rimless bottleneck type with a 30 degree shoulder angle. The rim diameter is .577", the case length is 2.8", and the overall cartridge length is 3.75".

The peculiar metric designations of Lazzeroni rifles and cartridges are based on their groove diameter, rather than the bore diameter measurement typically used by Europeans. Thus a 7mm becomes a 7.21mm, a .300 becomes a 7.82mm, and a .338 becomes an 8.59mm. Regardless of nomenclature, the Titan uses the same .338" bullets as the other super magnums described in this article.

Lazzeroni factory loaded ammunition is available with 185 grain, 200 grain, 225 grain, and 250 grain bullets. The 250 grain bullet is the Swift A-Frame. The approximate MV of this load is 3100 fps and the ME is 5336 ft. lbs. The 400 yard figures are 2379 fps and 3143 ft. lbs. The following trajectory applies: +3.3" at 100 yards, +4" at 200 yards, 0 at 300 yards, and -9.3" at 400 yards. These figures were calculated for the standard conditions used for other factory loaded cartridges.

taken from an article about the super 338 magnums

Dave

I built mine in 1996 but I didn't design the reamer,I was just curious as to whom designed the reamer? I hadn't heard of anyone beyond my group of shooting friends having this cartridge until I read some posts on this forum by you.I have seen some of your rifles in pictures and they are impressive to say the least.

Bd408 thanks for the info on the Lazzs.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.