.338 Cal bullet question for big pigs, 185gr MRX or 230gr Fail Safe

amu_shooter

Background info, booked a trophy Boar hunt for my wife week of Thanksgiving. She'll be shooting my Win 70 Super Grade w/Boss in .338 Win Mag I purchased from forum member that she is comfortable shooting. Rifle shoots both 185 MRXs and the 230 Fail Safe bullets I can handload under .75 MOA.

Question is, which bullet is better suited for a solid shoulder shot at 100 yards or less , straight thru shoulder on a 200-400 lb Boar? Considering quartering away or moving towards shots, I know both will work on the perfect broadside scenario.

Not a big fan of tracking anything, looking for combo for a solid DRT shot.

Do you want to waste a Failsafe (230gr) on a hog? Then again you may have a good stash so why not. The hog's grisle plate would be no match for a Failsafe. I have a box and a half of those beasts. Wish I could find some in .375. JM

I have a decent stash of .338 FS , but it's more important to me to let my wife body slam a big pig straight thru the plate and not have to track anything, I want it DRT, like folding similar to wet dish rag dropped on floor.

If you need some of the .338 FS 230s pm me a fair offer for 50pcs shipped, the .375s are on Gun Broker now if you want em.

I'm getting just under 3200 fps with the 185gr MRXs using RL17, may just shoot that cause I've never used that bullet before and see what happens, was hoping some forums members had some input on the MRXs on thick/heavy bone game.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.