338 buld ??

darrindlh

I have a savage Stevens in a 300wm as my donor rifle. It is the older stagger feed magazine. What do I need to do to rechamber my rifle to a 338rum. Can it be a detachable mag or will it be a single shot. Which I am ok with. All opinionsare welcome. Thank you

Darrin

u may end up w a single shot, unless u use short bullets, or seat them deeply in the case. the beddings dryin now on my savage 338 rum, i built it on a rum action, which has a longer (3.635ish) magbox. how long is ur mag box?

just need a barrel and a headspace gauge, and the barrel nut wrench.

lear

My mag box is bmaller than 3.635. I can get a rum box put on and it is not expensive at all. I was thinking about doing this just so I could have at least two shells in the mag. Don't know though. That rum mag box is only 20 - 40 bucks. Does my bolt have to be opened up at all?

Darrin

ud need to open up the action, and machine the grooves the magbox snaps into. im guessin it could be done, but i wouldnt do it

the boltheads for the RUMS were controlled feed, but theirs not much size difference between ur pushfeed 300wm bolthead and the 338 rum CRF bolthead, so urs might work. dunno. cant just switch boltheads, as the CRF boltheads dont have an ejector built in, they use an action mounted ejector. also, i believe savage made a special baffle for the RUM rifles to allow more bolt travel. honestly i was lookin into doin all this w a std long action as well, until i stumbled on a rum action. ive forgotten most of what i learned about converting a std LA. also, ur rifle is considered a small shank, and early in the production savage switched the rum calibers to large shank. if u order a barrel make sure u get the right one

lear

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts