338 build.

In the process of building a 338 RUM myself. Bartlein 26 inch finished barrel heavy sporter Stainless 1-9 twist 5R. Stiller predator long action with Hawkins DBM CIP and accurate ultramag Magazine. Timney trigger, PTG pinned recoil lug. Hawkins M4 terra stock. The hawkins for the money worked great on my 284 build so went that route again. Got most of my stuff through Redhawk Rifles who I highly recommend. This will be mostly a hunting rifle so wanted to keep it lighter. It will be topped with a NX8.

What weight are you shooting for?

My 338 RUM tips the scales at 13.5 lbs.

- Stiller predator
- 30" Bartlein sendero with 5 port self timing muscle brake
- Grayboe renegade
- Triggertech special
- Hawkins BDL

Slings a 285 gr Amax to 2945 FPS with a case full of H1000.
349FA5AC-2CCD-493B-83C1-DE0BAC989B1C.jpeg
684D1D52-83C9-4778-98A9-218E43694F10.jpeg
DF68E12B-FCC7-47CB-8AFD-AFE4BE68DBA2.jpeg

I really like the Terrain on the 284 I built. If there was any issue it's a little short for me but i like the feel. My 284 which is reall close to what my 338 RUM will be put together as and a NXS scope is around 11lbs. Guessing the RUM will be about the same weight with a NX8 scope and 2 inch longer barrel.

Getting ready to start gathering parts for my 338 build. More than likely a RUM. Any recommendations would be great appreciated. Action brand?
Barrel material? Carbon or SS
Stock: manners no dbm
Thanks

Would be helpful if you stated your purpose for the build, budget, and desired bullet weight.

I strongly recommend the 338 edge due to the brass advantage (necking up 300 rum brass). The extra powder capacity is welcomed as well.

If hunting, I'd recommend a 26" barrel CF and keep the weight no more than 10.5# with optics.

Getting ready to start gathering parts for my 338 build. More than likely a RUM. Any recommendations would be great appreciated. Action brand?
Barrel material? Carbon or SS
Stock: manners no dbm
Thanks
If you're wanting light Id go with a defiance anTi action, it weighs 22 oz and is set up to run 3.85 cartridge length.
If you're going to shoot really long bullets, or if you go 338 edge I'd get a lone peak razor and have them cut it for a 4" magazine, still pretty light at 28 oz.
I personally would avoid titanium actions, I had poor luck with mine, steel is far superior.
Id go with a fluted #6 benchmark, they're incredibly accurate and it'll weigh about 3.7 lbs in 338 at 26"

Purpose for the build is just because I want one. I'm just as likely to take it on a back pack hunt as I am shoot targets. I'm not incredibly concerned with bullet weight. Probably look to Berger's in 250-300 area though as I already have a 300 rum shooting 210s. And although I hear good things about the edge I don't see enough advantage to going that route. I only use correct headstamp brass as well...just a pet peeve.

I curious as to what you didn't like about the TI action?
Im leaning more towards the carbon route day by day I think. I'm a sucker for a nice fluted barrel though. All of the carbons seem to be pretty equal as far as accuracy goes.
As far as price I don't think I have one. Don't want to spend a fortune but buy once cry once. I'm not completely sold on custom actions either. I understand the probability of it helping accuracy is greater but so many other things account for that as well.
I appreciate all of the input

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts