338 build. Need opinions/advice

Imperial Bull

Hello,

First post so I'll give you a little background before I get into the build. Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest. Hunting, fishing, shooting pretty much takes up every free moment I have. Can be a little obsessive and unhealthy at times but I'm sure a few of you can relate. I primarily archery hunt but spend a great amount of time messing with rifles and muzzleloaders as well, along with being involved in several hunts each year with all weapon types. Most of my hunting is done in Oregon, but I try to hunt out of state at least once a year. I have numerous rifles but no full customs or 338s. I have a pretty good idea of what I want but I am a novice compared to many.

I want the rifle to be for long range hunting/target shooting. Would like to keep budget below $3000 but I want quality so if it needs to go over then so be it. Some other guidelines are 8-8.5lb rifle only weight and 26-27 inch finished barrel length not including muzzle break. Would also like to see it shoot 0.5 moa or better because if not, whats the point. I have ideas on many of the components but let me know your thoughts, as many of you are way more knowledgeable than me.

1) Caliber: I am thinking 338 rum or 338 edge, but leaning towards 338 rum because I'm not sure with the 26-27 inch barrel I would gain much in the edge. I understand getting brass for either right now is a challenge.

2) Stock: Manners EH1. Like the look and the weight. Also read many good reviews.

3) Action: Borden Timberline Magnum or Stiller Predator.

4) Trigger: Jewell. Have one, love it.

5) Barrel: This is really where I can't decide. I know there are many good makers out there that would work fine as it is more the smith that puts it together, but I just get a little overwhelmed. The only custom barrels I have are Pac-nor. Like them but this is a little higher end build so I want to get it right by doing more research. I would like the capability to shoot 300 grainers and I need to take the rifle weight into consideration. Thinking 1 in 10 twist (not sure on type conventional, 5C, etc.), around 0.750 at the muzzle (like Lilja #6 or Broughton 5.5 Med Var. Sporter), 26-27 inch finished weight (not sure that extra inch going to 27 will really get me much).

6) Muzzle Break: DE 4 port but no experience. Will be shooting prone so that may need to be taken into consideration.

7) Bottom Metal: Like 700 style hinged floor plate but brand is the question?

8) Smith: Last but not least. Anyone recommend a good smith in Oregon or even Washington? Had work done by a few different guys but not set on anyone. I can do some of the small stuff but chambering, fitting barrel to action is out of my league I believe.

I'm sure I forgot something but figure this is a good start. I appreciate everyone's time and help. I value all opinions, even if they are not what I had in mind. If I am being unrealistic in any part of this build lets hear it.

Thanks you and good shooting,

Jeff

Buy a Savage Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua it's really close to what you want.Brass in alot easier to get for the Lapua than either of the other two.I have a edge and have been pulling bullets out of factory ammo for brass.Its may be hard to stay under $3000 for the build you want.

Travis at rbros rifle will build you a rifle that will blow your mind. He is in elma washington, guarantees all his builds and will answer any question you got. Simply an amazing smith
I just received my 338 lapua improved from him. He actually personally hunts with a 338 rum that is exactly what you decribed. Go with rbros you won't regret it.

Thank you for the reponses. The savage long range hunter in the lapua is just a little heavier than I want to lug around on backcountry trips and I just don't quite like how savages feel in my hands. That being said they are a darn accurate rifle, especially for the price. At least the ones I have shot were. The Rbros rifles do look to be just about what I want and they get excellent reviews it appears. A little more than I want to spend, but may be worth the extra cost. I just might have to give them a call.

Jeff

I am not much help for a custom build, however, i can give insight to DE's 4 port brake. They are phenomenal, I have one on a 7mm, and a DE 3 port on a 300 WM. Very very nice.

Have you considered idaho gunsmiths? if so, check with lane precision rifles, or defensive edge.

Darrel Holland is in powers,oregon and curt mendenhall is in Sutherlin,oregon. I don't have any personal experiences with either but have friends with guns from both and they look clean and shoot great. also MOA rifles are in Eugene-springfield area if I remember correctly?

DALLAS LANE..LANE PRECISION RIFLES IN POCATELLO IDAHO..IVE HAD A FEW OF THE TOP GUYS BUILD RIFLES FOR ME...HE IS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER, CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HUGE IN THIS BUSINESS, TURNS GUNS AROUND IN 6 MONTHS...ALSO GREAT GUY TO TALK TO.. HE EXPLAINS EVERYTHING !!!! NOT ONE OF THESE GUYS THAT ARE SCARED TO PICK UP THE PHONE..IVE GOT 3 OF HIS BIG GUNS FROM 338 RUM, TO LAPUA IMPROVED TO 375 CHEYTAC.. THEY ARE ALL 1/4 MINUTE GUNS..gun)

I recently built just about the exact rifle you're talking about, here's the thread I posted last month.

Link: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f86/finally-finished-my-338-rum-155086/

Tough to choose on all the components but I think you're right on track.

My barreled action was built by Jim Borden, and for the stock I had to flip a coin to choose between McMillan and Manners.

Regarding brass, I don't think the 338 RUM is nearly as hard to find as the 300. In fact I think it's in stock at cabelas right now (Nosler).

I couldn't be happier with my RUM. I personally just don't think there's enough difference between the RUM, Edge or Lapua to really matter much especially with a lighter style rifle. Lapua has the best/strongest brass, but I'm getting 10+ shots out of my Nosler RUM brass plus sub 1/4 MOA accuracy. With that kind of performance I really don't care what is stamped on the brass.

Pyroducksx3, I'm curious about the specs (weight, barrel length, etc) on your Rbros lapua improved and what bullets/velocities are you shooting? That sounds like one heck of a sweet rifle... I'm sure I could be pretty happy with a rifle like that too.

I will also recommend Dallas Lane of Lane Precision Rifles. He has built three customs for me and I would say he is as good as any builders out there in my opinion.

Why not a 338 Norma? Brass is available and its in a shorter action...Although it would eliminate a Borden action as Jim doesn't use that bolt face. Stiller and Defiance do though...

One more thumbs up for Dallas Lane...he is without a doubt a great builder with great customer service. He is building a 338 Norma for me right now, with a Defiance and McMillan Lazzeroni...great guy all around. Can't wait:)

What ever way you go you can't go wrong with a 338.I went with the 338 Norma.Keith at Phoenix Custom Rifles is building my rifle should have it in August.gun)

Pyroducksx3, I'm curious about the specs (weight, barrel length, etc) on your Rbros lapua improved and what bullets/velocities are you shooting? That sounds like one heck of a sweet rifle... I'm sure I could be pretty happy with a rifle like that too.
Rogue action, Broughton 30" lr contour
Manners t2a with carbon shell, 30 moa rail
Jewell trigger, Defensive Edge slab brake
FDE metal, Kryptek Mandrake hydro dip. It weight in right at 16 lbs. I shot it for the first time today was quite enjoyable with the ff loads. It shoots tiny groups! Only shot it out to 515 yards but 2850 fps seemed accurate. I'm running the 300 gr bergers and I'm expecting over 3000 fps with the improved rounds using n570.

The 338 Norma is a good option if one is looking to stay in a 26" barrel and not expecting anything much over 2700 fps with 300 gr bullets.

Attachments

• 20150715_205408.jpg
    20150715_205408.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20150720_111046.jpg
    20150720_111046.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 110
Seems like there are a few fans for the lane precision as well as a couple other makers. I am not opposed to going with a fairly well known name. To be honest the only thing keeping me away from going that route was price, as most are out of my ball park, and not knowing if I am paying extra for a name. I know you often get what you pay for, but I also know there are some charging outrageous prices for their rifles that are no better than some many dollars less. This is where your opinions are very valuable. That being said, I set a goal to keep it around $3000 for a bare rifle. If the quality and customer service are solid I may increase that another grand at most. Love to be able to spend more, just can't justify it now and I do believe I can get a quality rifle in my price range, but maybe I am asking a little much. You tell me. So keep the thoughts coming as I really do appreciate them. Even if I don't go the route you suggest do to cost or wants its still opens my eyes to other possibilities and ideas. Spending this amount of money I want to do my best to get what I will truly be pleased with. There hasn't been a post on this thread that wasn't useful. I have looked into each one, so thank you.
I did see that the "classic" model by lane precision was in my ballpark. Didn't quite have the components I wanted by I bet that can be fixed. Anyone have that particular model and what do you think?
As for the 338 norma idea, I am not as familiar with the cartridge. I know the ballistics are very similar, but I assumed that going to a cartridge with a case design like the norma or lapua I would have to go with a beefier action, creating more weight that I don't want. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if others value these calibers over the rum or edge speak up.

Timber338,

That is very nice rig you have there and yes it is pretty much what I am after. I have a vx6 waiting in the safe for this rifle. Only difference from yours is its the 4-24x52. Glad to hear you like it. I got a very good deal on it so I thought I'd give it a try. How do you like the Hart #4 contour? Any regrets going that light? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was the rough breakdown or overall cost for the rifle. Feel free to p.m. me if you want.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.