338 build advice

I have a .338 RUM with a 25 inch barrel. Only drawback is shooting it with out the muzzle brake is brutal and punishing. I need to check on the +P throat. I am a firm believer of the Wyatte's box, but I'm not sure I want to stuff any more powder into that case. I don't shoot any bullet heavier than 225 grains. Make sure and pick your shots. That bullet at RUM velocities can destroy a lot of meat. A friend of mine witnessed an bull elk shot shot head on in the chest and the bullet exited. It made a awful mess.

I have a .338 RUM with a 25 inch barrel. Only drawback is shooting it with out the muzzle brake is brutal and punishing. I need to check on the +P throat. I am a firm believer of the Wyatte's box, but I'm not sure I want to stuff any more powder into that case. I don't shoot any bullet heavier than 225 grains. Make sure and pick your shots. That bullet at RUM velocities can destroy a lot of meat. A friend of mine witnessed an bull elk shot shot head on in the chest and the bullet exited. It made a awful mess.
What bullet was that with?

I've got to ask a stupid question because I know you have all considered it....why the 338 over the 300 when talking about elk? I would have to be thinking moose, grizzly or Africa, I think if getting a 338....

I've got to ask a stupid question because I know you have all considered it....why the 338 over the 300 when talking about elk? I would have to be thinking moose, grizzly or Africa, I think if getting a 338....
I already have a 300 win and 30-06, moose will be on the menu at some point in the future as well. Wanting something bigger/different.

Hey guys, long time lurker, new member here.
I'm planning on building a light-ish weight 338 for a designated elk gun. Basically want to keep the weight around 9 pounds with a ~30 oz scope. Don't want a barrel longer than 26 plus a brake and not interested in a Norma/Lapua. Planning to shoot 250-270gr bullets(bergers/accubonds/hammers) inside of 750 yards on game.
Here's my plan:
Defiance AnTi action
3.825 Wyatt's box/BDL
26 inch Bartlien 3B or other brand #5 fluted
Hawkins 2 port brake
B&C sporter stock(temporary until I get a McMillan Rem Hunter)
Mid power scope in the 30 oz ballpark
I'm leaning towards the 338 RUM with a +p throat from DE, but open to other suggestions.
Thoughts, experiences, suggestions?
338 win mag. Been using it for years. Easy to find ammo or reload. Not sure why or what the benefit of all these other variations. Winmag has been working great for many years. Just more expensive guns and bragging rights.

IMO; the 338's are really only "necessary" when long range is part of the plan. The retained energy, high BC and overall killing power- when shots are not perfect- are what separates the big 30's and the big 338's. If I did not plan on shooting elk over 6-700 yards I would probably just stick with a 30 cal. magnum.

IMO; the 338's are really only "necessary" when long range is part of the plan. The retained energy, high BC and overall killing power- when shots are not perfect- are what separates the big 30's and the big 338's. If I did not plan on shooting elk over 6-700 yards I would probably just stick with a 30 cal. magnum.
For me the attraction is the "killing power". It's hard to argue that 338s just hit harder and kill faster. If big 30s are good, then big 338s are better. Plenty of elk have fallen to 243s, but some tools are better suited to certain jobs than others.

For me the attraction is the "killing power". It's hard to argue that 338s just hit harder and kill faster. If big 30s are good, then big 338s are better. Plenty of elk have fallen to 243s, but some tools are better suited to certain jobs than others.

Particular if shot placement is not perfect; like a front shoulder it that does not get into the vitals. You better break both shoulders or you will not find that elk, 338's do a much better job than 30's do at long range getting that job done.

This will be for out of state, so lead bullets are fair game. I have plenty of other rifles set up with copper for CA hunts.
What part of Komifornia do you live? I'm in the central valley. Have looked into Sherman wildcats? He builds a 338 max or sherman that you should have a problem with in the magazine box.

What part of Komifornia do you live? I'm in the central valley. Have looked into Sherman wildcats? He builds a 338 max or sherman that you should have a problem with in the magazine box.
Sonoma County. I have but with 3.825 of room in the mag box and the option to cut it to 4.000, I'd like to utilize the length better.

Hey guys, long time lurker, new member here.
I'm planning on building a light-ish weight 338 for a designated elk gun. Basically want to keep the weight around 9 pounds with a ~30 oz scope. Don't want a barrel longer than 26 plus a brake and not interested in a Norma/Lapua. Planning to shoot 250-270gr bullets(bergers/accubonds/hammers) inside of 750 yards on game.
Here's my plan:
Defiance AnTi action
3.825 Wyatt's box/BDL
26 inch Bartlien 3B or other brand #5 fluted
Hawkins 2 port brake
B&C sporter stock(temporary until I get a McMillan Rem Hunter)
Mid power scope in the 30 oz ballpark
I'm leaning towards the 338 RUM with a +p throat from DE, but open to other suggestions.
Thoughts, experiences, suggestions?
You might consider a 338/06 or the improved version. Ballistics are good, use a 24 inch barrel, build a lighter gun, manageable recoil

You might consider a 338/06 or the improved version. Ballistics are good, use a 24 inch barrel, build a lighter gun, manageable recoil
I've got a 338-06 that's 5 pounds naked, but looking for something with more horsepower. The -06 definitely isn't a long range rig.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.