338 build advice

CApighunter

Hey guys, long time lurker, new member here.
I'm planning on building a light-ish weight 338 for a designated elk gun. Basically want to keep the weight around 9 pounds with a ~30 oz scope. Don't want a barrel longer than 26 plus a brake and not interested in a Norma/Lapua. Planning to shoot 250-270gr bullets(bergers/accubonds/hammers) inside of 750 yards on game.
Here's my plan:
Defiance AnTi action
3.825 Wyatt's box/BDL
26 inch Bartlien 3B or other brand #5 fluted
Hawkins 2 port brake
B&C sporter stock(temporary until I get a McMillan Rem Hunter)
Mid power scope in the 30 oz ballpark
I'm leaning towards the 338 RUM with a +p throat from DE, but open to other suggestions.
Thoughts, experiences, suggestions?

I have both...
Iota Kremlin
Greyboe M5/accurate mag 3 round CIP
24 in proof sendero 1-9.4 twist (338 Norma)
Trigger tech trigger
Stiller TAC 338
Vortex rings
Bushnell LRHS 4.5x18
(10lbs 2 oz scoped and loaded)

Manners EH1
ADL Atlas worx triggerguard
SA defiance AnTi
20 in 338 carbon 6 barrel 1-9 (338 RCM)
Box mag/flat follower (center feed)
Vortex rings
Swarovski Z5 2.4x12 BT
(This is still in parts 7lbs 2oz)

Attachments

• IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2894.JPG
    IMG_2894.JPG
    643.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    605.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Hey guys, long time lurker, new member here.
I'm planning on building a light-ish weight 338 for a designated elk gun. Basically want to keep the weight around 9 pounds with a ~30 oz scope. Don't want a barrel longer than 26 plus a brake and not interested in a Norma/Lapua. Planning to shoot 250-270gr bullets(bergers/accubonds/hammers) inside of 750 yards on game.
Here's my plan:
Defiance AnTi action
3.825 Wyatt's box/BDL
26 inch Bartlien 3B or other brand #5 fluted
Hawkins 2 port brake
B&C sporter stock(temporary until I get a McMillan Rem Hunter)
Mid power scope in the 30 oz ballpark
I'm leaning towards the 338 RUM with a +p throat from DE, but open to other suggestions.
Thoughts, experiences, suggestions?
You are in CA also, will you be shooting non lead ? If so the bullets are long and you may run into the powder column, why not the Norma ? With a light build I would go with the 5 port Beast from Muzzle Brakes & More, a light .338 packs a recoil punch. A #5 contour with spiral flutes on par or lighter than a Proof CF. I prefer the EH1 stock at ~28OZ or the XLR magnesium chassis. Get a 8 or 8.5 twist barrel I think it plays a bigger role if you are going to shoot monos.
See post #76
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-from-bc-to-terminal-ballistics.245696/page-6

Last edited:
You are in CA also, will you be shooting non lead ? If so the bullets are long and you may run into the powder column, why not the Norma ? With a light build I would go with the 5 port Beast from Muzzle Brakes & More, a light .338 packs a punch. A #5 contour with spiral flutes on par or lighter than a Proof CF. I prefer the EH1 stock at ~28OZ or the XLR magnesium chassis. Get a 8 or 8.5 twist barrel I think it plays a bigger role if you are going to shoot monos.
See post #76
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-from-bc-to-terminal-ballistics.245696/page-6
This will be for out of state, so lead bullets are fair game. I have plenty of other rifles set up with copper for CA hunts.

I really like the 338 Norma....good brass, fits in a standard action...you can get a standard with a .750 bolt now...tons of power...next 338 RUM, after that 33 Nosler... go with a 20-24 in barrel...use a suppressor

OP, do you reload and open to wildcats? Or just off the shelf ammo?
I do reload, and am not opposed to wildcats, but I'd prefer not to fire form. Originally I was thinking of a 338 Sherman Mag (300prc based) but I can likely get similar in performance buying brass off the shelf with the RUM.

338 Nosler I think would be a great choice 250 gr, 338 Rum will be good too. Mine was a absolute hammer on game with 250 EH. If you want to shoot the heavy bullets I would go 338 Edge or Lapua

338 Nosler I think would be a great choice 250 gr, 338 Rum will be good too. Mine was a absolute hammer on game with 250 EH. If you want to shoot the heavy bullets I would go 338 Edge or Lapua
Planning to shoot the 250 EH, 265 ABLR, and the Hammer 246. Not really looking to shoot the 300s.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts