338 barrel length

Tundra Cruiser

So working on my build. I about to drop everything off at the gunsmith. I'm building this rifle as a dedicated kodiak/Afognak hunting rig "black tail/elk/brown bear. I have decided everything but barrel length. The barrel I ordered is bartlien sendero 30" 9.35 twist "because that is what they had in stock". I had planned on 28". Because of the terrain I probably won't shoot past 500 to 700yds. Is it worth going longer than 26"? Packing the extra weight and swinging the length?

338rum
Bartlien sendero 30" 9.35 twist
Remington 700 LA
Greyboe Terrain stock
T3 Terminator MB

Barrel length in most cases does nothing to or for accuracy. So, I would choose based on my gut feel as far as balance and handling. That can be different for each of us based on our size. I am 5'7", 165 lbs and 13" LOP so my balance point is no longer than 26"; closer to 24. I know if I was shooting what your planning I would go on the longer end of the choice. Good luck on your hunt!

Jeepers, I've only been on the islands a few time, most of my time on the peninsula.
The thought of swinging anything that long in the alders would give me pause. My .338 Jarrett is 26" there are days I wish it was 20.
as a hunting rifle, 24 to 26 will give you all you need to 500.

I'm building this rifle as a dedicated kodiak/Afognak hunting rig "black tail/elk/brown bear.

Black tail and elk are one thing but bears are simply another altogether. Here I think your consideration should lean towards the energy and bullet construction at the distances you think your shots could be at the furthest point. Higher velocities (longer barrels) yield higher energy at the target. Some of this with shorter barrels can be mitigated by using slightly heavier and more aerodynamic (higher BC) bullets when you want more energy.

I don't see any problem with using shorter barrels, even a 20" or 22" (not much difference) will suffice so long as you try to hunt a little bit closer than your 700 yard suggestion. Yes this is a 'long range hunting' forum but I think we have to add some caution at some points along the way because of the variables introduced by the posters. The other component is selecting a powder which will burn in those shorter barrels yet provide the energy to for the faster velocities. I use Re-25 will great results.

One consideration is to look at some of the Hammer Hunter or Cutting Edge Hunting bullets to use for the bear hunt.

The only time I went to Kodiak Island was about 30 years ago, I was only hunting black tail so I only took a blacktail gun. A Thompson Contender in 7-30Waters...........yes yes I know a horrible decision !!!!! I did get my deer and return home alive !!!!!!!
On the other extreme the first .338 I ever built had a 36" barrel on it. having gone to both extremes I would probably go with a 28" barrel but not shorter than 26".
I know they make newer more hi tech bullets but my favorite 338 bullet will always be the 300grSMK, devastating performance on game, outstanding accuracy.

Having hunted the big bears in thick country, I would go with 24" overall, maybe even less with a brake. There will be some open areas, but you'll find yourself punching through some jungle brush on the islands. I used to hunt up there with a 22" 338WM and it killed bears just fine. I wouldn't have hesitated to shoot non dangerous game at longer range, but you shouldn't shoot big mean animals that fa away anyway. That Rum loaded to the gills with good powder and a 250gr mono or bonded bullet will kill bears without any unnecessary drama. The 250 with cook from the RUM and not be overly aggressive recoil wise either.

Well starting to be my favorite gun in 338 is my cobbled together 338 RCM..it wears a 19 in barrel I love, I have a 338 Norma it is 25 inches with a brake ...would not want it longer...28 total in barrel (26 with a brake) is obnoxiously long for hunting

Bears are one of the few animals I don't believe should be shot at long range. It is too difficult to tell size, sex, and whether they have little ones with them in the grass. And with the ones that have a good hide it's hard to pick a spot on them that goes right to the vitals. Also, wounded bears are a danger to everyone as well as being a pitiful creature to leave suffering in the deep brush. I have encountered a few and it ruins your day. Animals with antlers and horns are much better candidates for long range. Given this, shorter, stiffer, barrels are fine in .338 for bears.

I can shoot the 250 gr out of my RUM at 3000fps with 26 inch barrel. 26 in with 2 1/2 in break is a pain in the *** walking in brush.

For your intended use I would go 24" barrel. You should be able to get 2900FPS out of 250-265 gr bullets in a 24 in barrel. Weight savings between 24-26 isn't very much but it is a noticeable difference maneuvering the gun.

I have had 2 338 ultra mags built. First was a Benchmark light palma fluted 9.3 twist with a 29 inch barrel plus brake. My friend wanted it more than I did. The second 338 ultra mag I had built was a 10 twist, Brux #5 fluted, 27 1/2 inch plus brake. I like packing my #5 contour for packing, a lot better than the light palma contour.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.