338 AX XP-100 with 300 SMK's

Ernie

SPONSOR
Got some more shooting and cleaning in today with the 33AX XP-100, with the 300 SMK's. Recoil was noticeably stronger. Shot a couple of 5-shot groups @ 100 yards with groups hovering around 1/2 inch (one group under while the other slightly over). Shooting off of a bench with a Harris BR bi-pod.

Barrel is cleaning up good now, which is pleasing to see as well.
Don't think this is a prairie dog rig, but I can't wait to get it set-up on steel. Recoil is about twice as much as my 7mm Dakota.

Ernie, what kind of muzzle velocity can you get out of a fire spitting dragon like that using the 300 gr. SMK?

It's gotta be nice!

not even them MONSTER PD's,
sounds like it's going tobe a shooter, look forward to hearing more.
nmhunter

Your dakota didn't recoil too bad, are you using a rifle scope? I think I see anouther elk in your future :)

Very cool, Ernie!
No reason you couldn't use it on p-dogs if you felt like it. By my calculations you should have enough fpe for a clean kill of a p-dog out to about 4500 yards +/-!

Yes, but I haven't chronoed it enough to get a good sense of MV.
A load I chose for barrel break in is running 2610.
But I haven't had it out since last week

Thats interesting, the hottest velocity that is listed on the Hodgdons web page for a 300 gr SMK out of a 338 Lapua RIFLE was 2677 fps with US869. Just think you will match that or exceed that with a handgun length barrel, not to bad at all!!!

Keep us posted with your results.

A video of that beast going off a couple of times would be exciting...Any chance of that in the near future?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.