338 Allen Xpress coming along.....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

about finished with the rifle I will be using on an early season elk hunt the end of this month. The rifle I wanted to use on this hunt was supposed to be based on my new APS Raptor receiver but there have been some issues come up that will pospone the receiver until after this hunt so that will not be possible.

Richard Graves and I want to test his new 265 gr AL RBBT on heavy game and as such obviously I would need a 338 cal rifle to use on the hunt. I have my lighterweight 338 AM but I do not think the shooting on this hunt will be over 1000 yards and that big aluminum tip ripping out with a muzzle velocity of 3500 fps may be asking for problems!!!

At least until we learn how the 265 will behave on game I wanted to use a bit tamer round. As such I decided to rebarrel one of my existing rifles with a #4 Lilja 1-10, 27" barrel.

The receiver is one of my trued Rem 700 chrome moly long actions that has had more test barrels on it then I care to admit!!! Since it is already set up for the Lapua bolt face, this was the easiest platform to start from and would not take much time away from customer work which all smiths are up to their ears in this time of year!!! :D

Anyway, I got the barreled receiver done this evening after regular working hours. I designed the reamer with no real throat, just a 1.5 degree leade angle coming right off the chamber. The reason is because I have the throating reamer to custom cut the throats to any length the customer wants.

It turned out good however because with the chamber cut and left as is. the 265 gr AL RBBT seated 10 thou off the lands has an overall length of 3.850". The extended Wyatts box is not long enough by their center feed box will as it accepts a length of 3.910".

The stock for the rifle is one of Tom Manners Carbon fiber sporters that I pillar bedded to the receiver. This is a very nice stock. Not one of his ultralights but still a very light weight for a full dimension sporter stock.

To help cut recoil to a managable level in this rifle which should finish out at around 7 1/4 lbs rifle weight before scope, I will use one of Shawn Carlocks small diameter 3 port brakes. Recoil will still be brisk, I am expecting recoil to be in the class of a heavy loaded 300 Win Mag in a sporter rifle but without the brake in this rifle I think recoil could be discribed as exciting!!!

Performance wise, I am hoping to break 3000 fps in the 26 to 27" barrel length. I have not decided on the finish length yet. 26 would probably be better for a dedicated elk rifle that may be used in the timber if needed but an inch really does not make that much difference. In all honest, I feel 3000 fps will be pretty comfortable as far as what the round can do. We will see what the recoil level feels like.

In testing this bullet in my 338 Allen Magnum, the BC is far and away higher then the 300 gr SMK. I will not post the numbers I have used to get my ballistic drop chart to match actual bullet flight simply because it will just start a ****ing match but I will say it is far higher then what the 300 gr SMK offers.

I hope to get the rifle finished up by this weekend and then I will post some pics of the finished product. The stearing controls will be handled by a Weaver Tactical that has been with me on many a hunt and will be idea for anything from in your face to 1000 yards if the chance arrises.

More to come soon. Got to get her ready, the hunt is starting on the 27th of this month!!!:eek:

Stay tuned. For those not familiar with the 338 Allen Xpress, its basially a 7mm Allen Magnum necked up to 338. Or another version of a 338 Lapua Improved.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

I've been gone awhile so maybe I have missed something here. Have you tested this bullet on media to see what the terminal performance is? I don't think it is wise to go after living animals with test bullets! BC is good, but it means absolutely nothing if the bullet doesn't kill but I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

I have not tested they yet for expansion tests. Mainly because the only rifle I have set up for them is my 338 AM and that is more stress then I plan on imposing on this bullet for big game hunting at least at moderate ranges.

When I get the rifle built I will be testing. IF the bullet proves that it will not hold together I will use the 325 gr FB wildcat bullet which will penetrate through a couple elk!!!:D

I personaly predict the bullet Richard has gotten to me to test will work just fine. IT is built on a very heavy 30 thou thick jacket. Thats DRAMATICALLY heavier then the SMK. Yes the tip will initiate expansion somewhat but I believe the very heavy jacket will control this.

I have shot may of the 300 gr ULD RBBT with this same jacket at 1000 yards there was no expansion in any way, in fact besides the rifling engraving and some impact scratches, the bullets could have been reloaded. these were fired out of my 338 Kahn at 2950 fps, basially similiar velocity I will be getting with this bullet in the shorter barrel with my 338 AX.

Richard designed this bullet for big game hunting with the very stout jacket and tip to allow better expansion at long to extreme range compared to any long range match HP design but also with a VERY heavy jacket to control this expansion as well.

I am not looking for +70% weight retention with this bullet but a 338 bullet that weighs 265 grains that will offer even 50% weight retention at conventional ranges will work perfectly for my needs with clean chest shots even on elk size game.

Again, your concerns are shared and they will be tested before any rifle is pointed at a big game animal I Assure you. Just have to get the rifle done first!!!!:D

Kirby Allen(50)

If they shoot well and the WY mulies cooperate, I'll have some test results for the 300 gr AL tipped Wildcat out of a 338 Edge this fall!!

Kirby,

Ya got me thinkin' a bit:(

I have a 27" Lilja #4 on a 270 Win that I gave to my son. In 270 its a bit heavy. In 338 it'd be sweet:cool:

I have a lefty 700 that started out as a 338 Win shooting 225s at some hellasious velocity and is now a single shot 338 RUM (take off barrel that I got from you) shooting 300 SMKs @ 2735 FPS. With the Holland brake shooting prone is not even close to a problem. The RUM should push the 265 maybe to 2800+ if enough US 869 could be squeezed in.

It would seem that the next cartridge in progression would be the AX and I'd not have to spring for a new action. (I'm kind of a less expensive thinker ;))

What would be wrong using the 700 LH, a Lilja #4 @ 27" and a DE Brake? If my calcs are close the rifle would end up about 10.5 #s or maybe a little more. And everthing would fit in the stock designed, pillared and skimmed by me w/o any fiddling other than putting a decent color scheme on it.

Also, why not a CM bbl?

Thanks

Roy

my Edge with a 29" tube will push the 250's over 3200. 3100 is more comfortable. those heavier jackets and longer bearing surface might slow em down a bit.

Roy,

Nothing wrong with your idea. Just need to mod that receiver for the Lapua size case head on the AX is all.

Nothing wrong with CM barrels either, I just am not a fan of standing in the hot as hell blueing room all day for a batch of blueing.

ALso, most think CM barrels are cheaper then Stainless, that really is not the case when you figure in the cost of barrel surface prep and hot caustic blueing charges.

Kirby Allen(50)

Bill,

The formed Lapua cases will hold around 8 grains more then the Edge case filled to the case neck. If your talking about usible powder volume however, it would be more like 12 to 13 grains more for one reason.

If your limited by a specific OAL such as in this case 3.850" and if you seat the bullets to this same overall length, the shorter fatter case design of the AX will offer more internal powder capacity simply because there is more bullet hanging out of the case then there is with the RUM or Edge.

Basically, its about right between the 338 Edge and 338 Kahn in case capacity.

Kirby Allen(50)

Dave,

With the capacity advantage and the case strength advantage of the AX over the Edge you will get 100 to 125 fps more velocity with same pressure in same barrel lengths from what I am seeing so far with my limited testing.

Another way to look at it is that the AX will get you same velocity as the Edge but with the next step up in bullet weight.

With the added strength of the Lapua case, I am hoping I can push things a bit harder in pressure and get over that 3000 fps level in this 27" barrel length.

None of these rounds are dependant on barrel length to be honest. You will only get around 18 fps more velocity per inch of barrel length over 26" so I suspect the difference between a 29 and 27" barrel would only be around 30 fps with this class of chambering. Variations from one barrel to another will cause more velocity change then that will.

We will see soon what she will do. It is true the stouter jackets and longer baring surface will slow things abit. Thats where I am hoping the larger case capacity and ability to use higher chamber pressures pays off to break 3K. If your comfortably getting 3100 fps in a 29" barrel with a 250 gr pill I think I should easily be able to get 3000 fps with a 265 gr and 27" barrel.

Kirby Allen(50)

Could somebody please enlighten me about what the abbreviations for the 265 gr AL RBBT stands for? Who makes the bullet?
I shoot a .338-.378KT, and wonder if this might be a good bullet to use in this caliber?
Curiously,
terjeness

AL= Aluminium RBBT=Rebated Boattail
It was a bullet designed and built by Richard at Wildcat Bullets.
Richard has since sold the company so the future of that and other bullets remains unknown.
Wildcat Bullets has been relocated from Canada to the U.S.
Maybe Paul will comment on his plans.
There are others working on similar designs but so far no general avalability and VERY different opinions on the working BC's of these bullets.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts