338 9.35 twist

Tundra Cruiser

Looking at a bartlein 28" 9.35 twist 338 barrel. Rebarreling my 7mmrum m700 to a 338rum or even 33 nosler. Worried it's to fast to shoot 265ABLR.

I have been thinking seriously about a 338 LM running 300 Gr. bullets.
A Bartlein 28" MTU taper with a 5R gain twist barrel starting at 9.3 and ending at 9.
with a Surgeon 1581 XL repeater action. An A-5 Sniper filled stock. It should be the Rats Behind! I would like to finish it in the 20# range or so.
But a 10 twist should shoot the lighter bullets just fine.?

Last edited:
Would I be better off with 1-10?
1in10 won't be fast enough for the new monometal projectiles. I have used 250 SMK in the 10 twist 338 I own. Seemed pretty good. 300 SMK and Berger say 10 twist is minimum. Just out of curiosity, why the caliber change ?

Love my 7mm use it for caribou and moose. But looking at a trip to Afognak in the fall. Wanting something that I can use to take deer elk and have stopping power for bears. Don't think there is enough energy behind the 7mm

Looking at a bartlein 28" 9.35 twist 338 barrel. Rebarreling my 7mmrum m700 to a 338rum or even 33 nosler. Worried it's to fast to shoot 265ABLR.

That twist should be fine. May I recommend the 338 edge too. It will work fine in that action and is an all around good chambering in the 338 field.

remember it is bullet LENGTH, not weight.
i have 338 275 that is much longer than the berger 300.
the 9.35 should be fine

I have a 28 inch Bartlein sendero contour 9.35 twist with a vaporizer muzzle brake and helical flutes. It's chambered in 338 rum and throated for 300 gen bergers. It has less than 100 round through it. All work was done by Precision barrel work. I would make a deal on barrel,dies,brass and bullets. Pm if your interested.

I don't understand the need for all of this faster twist stuff. The Berger calculator says that the 300 Elite hunter is more than stable enough (1.6 @ 40 degrees at 0 alt and over 2.0 at 7000 ft alt) I shoot lots of 1000 yard BR with combanations that are down near 1.1 on the berger scale and still manage to bring home lots of wood!! I also shoot lots of ELR steel without any issues.

I just don't get it. o_O

Tod

I think it's always better to go faster. Simply because you never know where the bullet market will go. For instance I have a 10 twist .257. At the time it would stabilize the 115 high bc. Since then blackjack, hammer, and cutting edge all offer longer Bullets that need more.
Plus it give you the option to run monos with decent bc.
Case in point 10 twist for a .375 will stabilize the 350gr cup core no issue. But not the higher bc 400gr mono. So go with a 9 twist and be able to shoot both.

Look at the 338 Sherman Short. I think you'll be just as convinced as I am. I'm running a 26" 3B with 1:9.3 twist and a Terminator T3 brake. My 8 yr old shoots it!
Stopping power???....how about I'm slinging a 250 Berger Elite at 2860' with a generous load of Varget. 240 Bulldozer also at 2860' and a 225 Bulldozer at 3003'
It'll be worth your time to look at IMHO. I retired 2 of my 338 RUMs since this build. You can read more @ shermanwildcatcartridges.com

To answer your question directly. A 9.35 twist will be fine for what you want to do. Proceed with confidence.

I think it is also not a bad idea to consider faster twist rates in case you have to shoot mono bullets not because you necessarily want to. Remember the same people that have honked up California will be running the country. Think nation wide ban on lead bullets just to cause problems.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.