.338-50 Talbot

PrimeTime

Has anyone seen or tried this cartridge? The ballistics are pretty impressive but of course you'd have to have a massive action and lots of powder. It really seems like that would shoot as flat as anything out there. The 300 MK would smoke!

Is it legal to use the standard 50 BMG? With the right bullets, the range with one of those seems practically limitless. My information says it propels a 660 grainer at just over 3,000 fps!

Hello

I hope I'm responding to a 338 caliber bullet in a full length 50 Cal case?

I had the chance to try a 338/50 and found out it didn't do anything better then my 338/416 Rigby Imp.
As a matter of fact, it didn't do it as good.

The overbore capacity of the big 50 cal case and necked down to a .338 just didn't have it especially with the 32" barrel that was on the gun.

If you could put a REAL long barrel on the rifle and use the shorter "spotter" 50 cal case, it would be much better. I also tried one of those and the outcome advantage, still went to the 416 IMp case.

Compare it to a cartridge that will produce better velocity with LESS powder capacity.
Effecient, the 50 caliber case necked to a 338, is not. Just because it holds more powder doesn't mean it will elevate velocity.

Been there, done that.

Darryl Cassel

Primetime,

Darryl's right. To take advantage of the expansion ratio of a 338 necked down from a 50 BMG you would need powders slower than any that are available to the reloader.

This Jhon L. Franks 20 years ago I fallowed Skip Talbot when he first started the wildcat 338/50 talbot. I was really interested in it. At the time I got side tracked. I would like to pick up where he left off. Does any body out there know how get in contact with his technology, casings , dies etc. Look forward to your response you can call me if you like. # is 1-619-250-1314. Thank you for your time

That's so overbore it would burn out a barrel in less than 750 rounds. Velocity doesn't always mean extended range. The projectile has to have the BC to get it done. THats why the super speed .224 caliber cartridges are not considered 1000 yard rounds. They have the velocity 3800-4000 fps, but their BCs suck. I think the 338/408 is about as crazy as you can get in that caliber.

Aramarine6, thanks for your responce to my request 338/50 talbot. When skip talbot was working the bugs out he used 300&350gr bullets and bcs wasnt the problem, barrel life was his main draw back.25 years later with the method used to day it may have a chance.I would like to try. Barret Arms shoots 750&800gr bullets and has no problem at 2000 rounds.

With some of the new solids and melonite treatments the wear issues are vastly reduced. I think if your going for pure vel it is very doable. A better case might be the 416 Barrett though. If you jump into this keep us updated, as we all like to see the envelope pushed a bit.

Mayhem 338, thanks for the response. I will do some research on the 416, It just that Skip Talbot was so passionate about his efforts to think outside the box and to do what no one else even imagined and he was close, im a lot like that and now that I am retired I have time to pursue my passions and with technology what it is I may have a better chance to finish what Skip started.thanks again.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr Talbot. One thing I did learn from him though was share as much as possible. I have been a member of the FCSA and his writing is what started me in the long range game so many years ago. If he were alive today I have a feeling that he would be pushing things well beyond what is considered normal. Next year I hope to be doing the same thing LOL. Keep your powder dry and let us know how it works.

Not a 338-50 but if your interested in a 375-416 BarretI have all the parts, reamer, and components needed including a press. I had planed on making my own dies but never got around to it. If your really interested I can make the dies or whoever chambers the gun can make them for you.

Thanks for the reply, I will study the stats and get back to you if thats ok. I appreciate any information I can get. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.