338/408ch-tac

qkshot

Awhile ago a couple of guys were talking about the 408 cheytactical cartridge necked down to the 338 and i was wondering if anybody has any updated results of actual accuracy, velocity,reloading data(300smkload)

and also what type of actions/barrel lenght/stock setup they used and total gun weights they came up with

very interested in this little number
300grsmk@3500fps

grin.gif
grin.gif

I was at Bruce Bears place last weekend and he has one. Here is a pic of one Bruce Bear has give him a call.
152645.jpg

Crow Mag

Karl
It would be an exellent round for very long range shooting. I have shot the 338 Yogi out ot 2200 meters and would think you could get the 338/408 out over 3000 yards in a Heavy Gun. Bruce is using a 10"x2" Bat action and a 34" barrel with good groups out to 1500 Yards. I am going to have Bruce do a barrel for my HG soon
grin.gif

Crow Mag

Crow
Do you know what velocities he is getting and with what bullets out of his 338/408?

Has anyone tried necking that thing down to .308 or smaller. Seems like it would be really fast, maybe close to 4000 w/ medium weight 30 cal in full power loads. What kind of barrel length would you really need to get good veolcity out of this? Would it just he burning powder in a 26 or 28, or would it still be faster than any other magnums of the same caliber?

By the way, does anyone have specs on this case? I would be interested to compareit to the big commercial and proprietary magnum hunting cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.