338-408 Chey-Tac Whats Wrong With It?

reed mosser

I just bought a 338-408 cheyenne tactical reamer. I was wondering why I haven't seen any regular 338-408 chey-tac. From the looks of the reamer its not a bad looking cartidge. I thought it has plenty of powder captivity and does it really need improving? Also is there any 408 chey-tac bushing dies out there or are you forced to make your own. I am in no way bashing any improved cartidges i love them. I am just asking the question is there a majior flaw with the 408 tac design. Thanks again Reed

Reed,
Let me just touch a few point's you made "I thought it has plenty of powder captivity" eeeerrrr capacity. this is a huge understatement, there is more than enough powder capacity for any 338 slug.
"does it really need improving?" NO NO NO but on the other hand your barrel life is miniscule anyway so why not go for the MAX.
"is there a major flaw" the biggest one is that every piece of brass you buy is from some one you have never heard of before.
build and enjoy your 338-408 Chey-Tac and send your barrel maker a B-Day and Christmas card.
UB

Nothing wrong with it at all. Most out there that designed their own 338 wildcat on the 408 CT did so for one purpose, ultimate performance levels and yes that comes at a cost in barrel life.

Also, most that design their own rounds want somthing a bit different then the standard parent case necked down to a new caliber.

There are several 338 wildcats out there that are basically the 408 CT necked down to 338.

Some are mildly improved like the Sniper Tac while others like mine are more dramatic transformations of the case by actually moving the shoulder forward to increase case capacity even more. Is it needed, probably not but when your trying to build the highest performing 338 out there thats what you do.

Also, when I designed my round, I had 350 gr ULD RBBT bullets in mind. Now that has been upped to 375 gr ULD RBBTs which we are now starting to test so the more capacity the better with the ultra heavy bullet weight if your looking for pure performance.

As far as dies to take the 408 down to 338, you will need to make your own or have them made. I use heat treated aluminum and make simple neck bushing sizing dies and also include three step down bushings made out of 4140 steel.

The die does not need to be able to handle high stress loads, just strong enough to neck the case neck down a bit and the aluminum is very easy on my tooling and I can cut it FAST.

As far as a seating die, get a Forster Ultra BR seater or Redding Comp seater in 338 Lapua. These Lapua dies have larger sleeve diameters and can easily be reamed out to a 338-408 chamber for precision seating.

For a FL die, either have to have them made or make your own.

Say, were you the one that gave me load data for heavy bullets in the 17 cals? If so, could you be so kind as to remind me of what loads you were using. If it was not you, forget I mentioned it!!

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Fifty thats pretty much what I thought. I have way to many guns to form for right know. I think I am going to build 338-408 Tac for the 1 mile shoot in ohio. They have it after the regular 1000 yard bemchrest. It should be a real hammer. I would think 3200 fps would be able to be reached with the 300's in a 32 inch tube. thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.