.338-.408 Bubinga Makeover

Joel Russo

I stocked this .338 Big Baer for member "Trueblue" a few months ago. After taking delivery, he realized that his recent shoulder surgery would not allow him to shoot this powerhouse.

I bought it back from him and added it to the other .338-.408's in the stable.

After looking at it on the coffee table where it sat in my office for a few weeks, it began calling out to me... It was telling me that the bead blasted stainless metal clashed with the highly figured Bubinga stock. I ignored it for a while knowing I didn't need another project... I finally agreed with it, and succumbed to spending a few hours changing it's persona..

I stripped it down, prepped it, and shot it with Graphite Black Cerakote.

Now it sits on the same coffee table calling out for me to take it to the field...

Before:
baerhurst2-1.jpg

After:

DSC_00012.jpg

DSC_00043.jpg

kaa...ching! Holy smokes Joel...great vision and call on the coating. LRH'ers are lucky to have you here.gun)

Joel, very nice change. I'm glad you listened to it.

Now you must continue listening to it. "Take it to the field Joel", "Take it to the field Joel"....:D

Enjoy & Good Hunting! You coming up to Alberta this year?

That thing looks sweet Joel, now you got to find the time to test her out.

Thanks guys...

Every once in a while I make a good call...

Chris~ I'm not going to make it to Alberta, my hunting partner is having some health issues which kept us from hunting Alaska this fall.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...

Every once in a while I make a good call...

Chris~ I'm not going to make it to Alberta, my hunting partner is having some health issues which kept us from hunting Alaska this fall.

Sorry to hear about your buddys health issues Joel. It's looking like a good year up here. We've had a rainy year which I think has contributed to lots of good food for the game, & as a result so far there's been some good animals hitting the ground. take care

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.