338/378

elkstalker300

why don't you hear more of people using the 338/378 for LRShooting? other then the belted case and are they that hard to load for?

I think most people don't want to spend 12-1400 on a rifle w/out scope,then $120 p/box for factory ammo IF YOU CAN FIND ANY! No they are not hard to load for @ all.I have a accumark in this chambering and love it.It took two mule deer last year 705 yds .250 gr hornady interlock 106 gr. rl-22 3000fps hits like a freight train.
Wayne.

I have one in a Accumark as well and it shoots very well for and off the shelf gun. I haven't shot it out to anywhere near 1000yds but I didn't buy it to be my long range hammer. I have a 338 Lapua AI being built that I will use for that.

I think for a farely light weight rig with alot of horsepower the Accumark in 338-378 is a good choice. My guess would be that a custom built rifle with a top notch reciever like a BAT or the like and a quality barrel the 338-378 would be a great long range hammer.

Biggest reason I didn't have my custom .338 built around the WBY. chambering was brass quality. If I'm going to spend a premium for brass I want a premium product. Weatherby brass is ok, certainly better than some others, but it's not in the same league with Lapua. But what is? Nothing!

They are to much money for what you get
20 unfired cases $75
mark 5 rifle $1600
not to metion that you will only get 500-800rds out of a barrel
for as much energy as you get to the amount of powder you burn you are better off with rum save a lot of money and close performance

I think that ther are several reasons.
1. Brass price is rediculous and at least in Canada, hard to find
2. long cartrige for a factory case, meaning that its gotta have its bullets seated deep (when using long bullets) if loading into the mag..
3. factory weatherby's have a ton of free-bore (i never had accuracy problems with my old Mark 5, but some people are against it)
4. most people dont build custom 338-378's because they cant be built on a model 700, 70 or Savage action. Weatherby's actions are substantially heavier duty than Remmy or Win actions. People dont use the weatherby actions because getting aftermarket parts for the Mark 5 is like pulling teeth, and most smiths have a hard time acurizing them.

i had a Mark 5 that I wanted to rechamber for this round, but it was just not worth it to me. I tried to find parts but landed up selling the whole package and going to a remmy in .338 RUM. I personally liked the Mark 5 action better but probably wont go back simply because there preformance is not worth the price. I love my remmy, it is simply more versitile. Mark 5's dont come stainless either.

If I come across a ton of $$ and weatherby introduced a Accumark in stainless with a DM in this chambering It would be very tempted. but until then it's not worth it to build a custom in it and I will never own another chrome-moly rifle.

the 338x378 is a fairly popular choice in the mountains of pa.
it has about the same capacity as the 416 case which is also popular there. these are all custom long barreled guns however.
the 338 lapua cant match it as a long range cartridge. especially when using the superior 300 gr. bullet.
most dead deer wont ask what kind of brass you were using.

I am not sure what a dm is but my accumark is a fluted stainless and I agree with the advent of the rum,better brass ,cheaper to load and almost as much volocity.however for a factory gun with only some trigger work done and very little time spent working up a load,steadily shoots 9/16"@ 100yds.with ANY 250 gr bullet except failsafes.I may be @ the end of my barrel life with over 500 rounds through it I don't know, what I do know is 960 yds off my back deck is a huge bassalt rim where ground hogs love to lay 180 nosler BT 109 gr rl-22 3600 fps! PRICLESS:) Barrels are cheap compared to a trip to disneyland,I never did like a mouse w/big ears, But vaperized ground hogs are great.
Wayne.

180 nosler BT 109 gr rl-22 3600 fps! PRICLESS:) Barrels are cheap compared to a trip to disneyland,I never did like a mouse w/big ears, But vaperized ground hogs are great.
Wayne.

That's some funny stuff. You'll know when your barrels gone. Consistency is out the door. It just be a matter of rethroating the barrel.

DM- Detachable Magazine. Another term is DBM-Detachable Box Magazine.

Tank

YIKES!!! 109gr of RL22 in a 338Rum case, WOW, how the heck do you get it all in there? That has to be a VERY full case :)

YIKES!!! 109gr of RL22 in a 338Rum case, WOW, how the heck do you get it all in there? That has to be a VERY full case :)

Yes that would be a full case if it were a rum but a weatherby 338-378 will hold and shoot quite well with 125 gr of h-870 or up to about 115 gr. of rl-22 however after about 112 pressure is getting to high.I have shot quite a bit of 870 and I don't even measure it just scoop the case untill full accuracy was great but powder is getting hard to find and its not clean burning rl-22 it is.

My 338-378 shoots 1/4" to 3/8" groups all day off the Harris bipod, depending on how clean or fouled the barrel is.
The 300 SMK's are coming out at 2825 fps with 18fps ES.
It needed an after market Timney trigger set at 1.5lbs and the action bedded with Devcon.
I went for the Wby because the action doesn't need to be squared and nor do the locking lugs need squaring and lapping unlike Remington actions.
I cannot understand the logic when people say they buy the Rem 700 action because it is cheaper than a Wby and then go spend more money getting squaring and lapping work done by a smith which in the end amounts to around what they would have paid for the Weatherby in the first place.
At least that is how I did my sums and was not without a rifle whilst the work was being done by the smith.
As for the belted case and excessive free bore, not being conducive of accuracy, well I have no problems getting mine to shoot 1/4" groups with an overall cartridge length that sits comfortably inside the standard length magazine.
Incidentally I also have a 30-378 Accumark that consistently puts 3 bullets, 210 grain Berger VLD's running at 3250 fps into the same hole at 100 yards.
That's my two cents worth..

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.