.338-378 Wby or .338 Lapua

Well, I have been to the range with my new Terramark. Here are some of my conclusions.

First, the gun is lighter than I expected. That's a plus. Second, the workmanship is typical Weatherby - excellent. Third, the bolt and magazine don't work as smoothly as I expected but it appears that the more rounds I shoot the smoother it will get. I found it was easier to feed one round at a time as we sighted it in. Fourth and the most dramatic, is the muzzle brake. I routinely shoot a Remington Milspec 5r .300 WM. The .338 Lapua recoil is definitely about the same, maybe less, than the .300WM! This was one of my big worries but no problem!

The Leupold is a good match for the gun but I added a Near Mfg 30 MOA ramp. The workmanship on the ramp is outstanding and I highly recommend them.

Overall I am very pleased with this gun but I have only shot 40 rounds thru it. I'll get back to you after 500 rounds.

My 338-378 Accumark gets out of DOJ jail Tuesday. It's used but looked good.

Glad to hear the brake works well.

I hope we can compare notes.

I got my 338-378 out of DOJ jail today.

Gave it a simple once over. Gotta do more later. Action screws. Lighten the trigger. Find the rail and scope I'll use.

Stock looks fine. Barrel inside looks fine. No crfazing. Well defined throat, lands and grooves.

Brake is stuck on and dirty. I'll have to get it off but right now it's stuck good.

Made an inventory of 338 bullets I have. I must be nuts.
Barnes TTSX 160 FB
Barnes TTSX 185 BT
Barnes TTSX 210 BT
Barnes TTSX 225 BT
Barnes LRX 260
Barnes LRLX 280
CEB 252 MTH D59
Hammer
Sierra 300 SML
Burger 250 OTM Match
Burger 300 OTM Match
Berger 300 Elite Hunter
Nosler 250 Partitions

And I'm sure I missed something

I have the 338/378 trr great gun i load fairly heavy and have had no problems with brass....weatherby brass is made by norma second to lapua ??? maybe but not by much if any laoded most casings 8 - 10 times before retiring the first batch.shoots the 300 grain berger at 2900 with no signs of pressuregun)

I've got a 338-378 Accumark and I've pushed 300 gr SMKs a little over 3000 but that was hard on brass (imagine that) using RL 33. I'm still going around 2950 and brass is living longer.

Gus

I've got a 338-378 Accumark and I've pushed 300 gr SMKs a little over 3000 but that was hard on brass (imagine that) using RL 33. I'm still going around 2950 and brass is living longer.

Gus

I was told the Accumark Mark V action isn't strong enough for 300gr 3000fps loads. Is this BS?
I have an Accumark/Bartlein Mark V in 338 Lapua Improved and haven't had time to load anything yet, but will soon!

I have a 338 edge that I push the 300 grn Elite Hunter at 2960 in a 28" bartlien with 92 grns of reloader 26 and have no problem with my norma brass so far at 6 reloads. I would hope you can go well over 3k fps with the 338-378

I was told the Accumark Mark V action isn't strong enough for 300gr 3000fps loads. Is this BS?
I have an Accumark/Bartlein Mark V in 338 Lapua Improved and haven't had time to load anything yet, but will soon!

My 338 Edge is on a Mark V.

A 300gr .338 at 3000fps is about 5800'lb (JBM)
A 600gr .458 at 2450fps is about 8000'lb from a 460 Weatherby

On another thread we had a discussion of the strength of the Mark V action, it's plenty strong.

These big 338s are a lot of fun. Not a whole lot of difference between the Lapua, Weatherby, and Lapua AI - each has it's own little pros and cons. The main thing is to pick one and go shoot it! I'm sure your new Lapua will work nicely. I have an Accumark in 338-378 that was remarkably easy to find a load for. It's not real hot but I found a nice accuracy node at 2975 fps with 250 grain Accubonds and 108.0 grains H1000. I've played around a little with 300 grain Bergers, gonna try them with RL33 when I get a chance.

If the Terramark has the same trigger as my Mark V there's no need to swap it out. I put a lighter spring in and adjusted it according to Weatherby's recommendations. It's now on par with any of the Timneys I have and breaks real nice at about 2 lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.