.338-378 Wby or .338 Lapua

crossbowme

I have been shooting a Remington 700 Milspec 5r in .300WM for a number of years now. Now that I have reached the 1000yd stage I'm considering a rifle that will take me beyond this range. I have settled on a Weatherby Mark Accumark RC but can't make my mine up on the round to use. Anybody have any experience firing these cartridges long range target? Like you input before I spend big bucks.

I have been shooting a Remington 700 Milspec 5r in .300WM for a number of years now. Now that I have reached the 1000yd stage I'm considering a rifle that will take me beyond this range. I have settled on a Weatherby Mark Accumark RC but can't make my mine up on the round to use. Anybody have any experience firing these cartridges long range target? Like you input before I spend big bucks.

I have not owned a 338-378 however I own and shoot a 338 Lapua I had built by Phoenix custom rifles. I can't say enough good things about the 338 Lapua cartridge. I feel the Lapua brass, and gobs of load data is really hard to beat and you can find it all over the inter web. You can probably get a little more FPS from the Weatherby however I can't say it will be worth it. I shoot the 285gr ELD's at 2800 FPS (below max charge with a 27" barrel) and stay supersonic out to between 1850-1900yds depending on environmental conditions. With Lapua brass most are getting around 10-firings per round!!!!! AMAZING!!!! I have heard stories about the 338-378 being difficult to find an accurate load for but have no evidence to prove it. My Lapua shoots 7/8" at 200 yds off of a bi-pod and a read sandbag. I am comfortable shooting at game out to 1200yds if environmental conditions and my rest permit. My vote is for the Lapua it is the most fun I have ever had shooting a rifle!!!!! If you wanted more FPS you could always AI your Lapua cartridges I suppose.

Good luck

I would also lean towards the Lapua. The Wby has a little more punch, but you are limited on your brass and if your real intention is targets at extended range then the extra speed and energy aren't a real issue. Heck, even for hunting the Lapua is capable of more distance than 99% of shooters could ethically get out of it.

Just to throw it out there. For the cost of a nice high dollar Wby rifle, maybe consider getting an action and having a semi custom built. A rem action with your choice of barrel, stock, trigger, etc would probably not be much different than the Wby. But it would let you compile all the components you desire into a gun that is "yours".

Nothing against Wby rifles (I own one) but for a strict long range gun it would be hard to beat one you hand picked yourself.

Now take the new rifle and have it improved and you will have what I consider the best 338 available on a standard long action. I am currently launching Hammer 285g bullets at a very mild load with a vel of 3115fps. Have not yet had a chance to see what it can do. Guessing that I will get 100-200fps more.

Steve

I have not owned a 338-378 however I own and shoot a 338 Lapua I had built by Phoenix custom rifles. I can't say enough good things about the 338 Lapua cartridge. I feel the Lapua brass, and gobs of load data is really hard to beat and you can find it all over the inter web. You can probably get a little more FPS from the Weatherby however I can't say it will be worth it. I shoot the 285gr ELD's at 2800 FPS (below max charge with a 27" barrel) and stay supersonic out to between 1850-1900yds depending on environmental conditions. With Lapua brass most are getting around 10-firings per round!!!!! AMAZING!!!! I have heard stories about the 338-378 being difficult to find an accurate load for but have no evidence to prove it. My Lapua shoots 7/8" at 200 yds off of a bi-pod and a read sandbag. I am comfortable shooting at game out to 1200yds if environmental conditions and my rest permit. My vote is for the Lapua it is the most fun I have ever had shooting a rifle!!!!! If you wanted more FPS you could always AI your Lapua cartridges I suppose.

Good luck

Great answer!

I shoot the 338-378 but I hunt with it and a 338-408 You will find that if you hunt game with it you would want at least 3100-3200 fps at the muzzle. With out the speed the bullet just pencils through .that is why I went with the 252 gr CE for the 338-378 at 3250 The 338-408 shoots the 300gr. hpbt at 3250

Are you saying 338-378 Weatherby brass is not strong?

Years ago I had a 30-378 Bee. My recollection then was that Weatherby did not recommend reloading their brass. May have just been a way to sell more, not sure. My experience then was that it seemed to be soft and primer pockets opened up quickly. I just looked at the Weatherby site and could not find any info like that now. Says the brass is made by Norma, so I would think that is a good thing. We have talked about doing a build based on the big Weatherby case, but would like to learn more about the current brass.

Steve

I have no problem with wby or norma brass! Some have been shot 4-5 times and still hold the primer firm. You will have trouble pushing the heavy bullets past 2900 with the straight lapua

Years ago I had a 30-378 Bee. My recollection then was that Weatherby did not recommend reloading their brass. May have just been a way to sell more, not sure. My experience then was that it seemed to be soft and primer pockets opened up quickly. I just looked at the Weatherby site and could not find any info like that now. Says the brass is made by Norma, so I would think that is a good thing. We have talked about doing a build based on the big Weatherby case, but would like to learn more about the current brass.

Steve

I have never encountered anything like that. I load for 257, 270, 7mm and 300 Weatherby.

I have yet to scrap a single case. Even the "once fired" that required sizing just above the belt with the collet sizer are fine.

Yes, in the old days Weatherby might have said not to reload as a marketing ploy.

Norma, Nosler and Weatherby brass is all the same source. Unless something changed that I don'the know about.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.