338-378 update

backyardsniper

Ok here is the deal got the rifle in hand this morning. Mounted an EGW 20 min base on it. the base says its for a rem 700 long action but appears in everyway to fit perfectly. steel ringsand a burris XTR 3-12 scope. Went to range rifle shot well in beginning then something funny started happening it would shoot two to threre good shots then the point of impact would go up about 3 or 4 inches. I kept thinking ok maybe its me, but i am a fairly experienced big bore shooter and after several shots where i put my best squeeze on it it happened again. I assumed the alluminum scope base to be the culprit, but upon further inspection i found that the rear action screw was loose to the point i could stand the rifle up on its buttstock and wiggle the barrel back and forth slightly After tightening it back down i only had two rounds left the gun came with a box of factory 200 gr which would be worthless anyway so i will have to wait till my dies arrive shortly. Is anyone here familiar with the workings of the mark v trigger this one appears to have an external adjustment allen screw but that is al. I put it back in stock and tightened very snug does this rifle need loctite on action screws

The screw on the bottom is the trigger pull and to adjust the sear you have to take the bolt out and there is a hole down in the back of the receiver where there is another allen screw. Its easier to adjust if you have the scope off.

you can use blue lock-tight on the action screws to prevent that from happening, and the blue lock tight willl break easily when you want to take the action out again.

does the safety still function on the rifle if you replace existing trigger with a timney. It says without safety i didn't know if that meant the gun still used original safety and the trigger didn't come with a new one ot if there would be no safety at all

Ok here is the deal got the rifle in hand this morning. Mounted an EGW 20 min base on it. the base says its for a rem 700 long action but appears in everyway to fit perfectly. steel ringsand a burris XTR 3-12 scope. Went to range rifle shot well in beginning then something funny started happening it would shoot two to threre good shots then the point of impact would go up about 3 or 4 inches. I kept thinking ok maybe its me, but i am a fairly experienced big bore shooter and after several shots where i put my best squeeze on it it happened again. I assumed the alluminum scope base to be the culprit, but upon further inspection i found that the rear action screw was loose to the point i could stand the rifle up on its buttstock and wiggle the barrel back and forth slightly After tightening it back down i only had two rounds left the gun came with a box of factory 200 gr which would be worthless anyway so i will have to wait till my dies arrive shortly. Is anyone here familiar with the workings of the mark v trigger this one appears to have an external adjustment allen screw but that is al. I put it back in stock and tightened very snug does this rifle need loctite on action screws

The Weatherby scope base screws have the same foot print as the Remingtion but you need
to add a .020 Thousandth shim under the back of the base because the receiver is .020 lower
than the Remington in back and will not fit very well with out it.

This could be part of your problem as the rifle heats up the base can move because it does not have 100% contact with the reciever.

Just a thought.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.