338-378 loads

elkstalker300

Any one got a good load for the 300 smk, Need a good palce to start, Lilja has an article and they were using 111.5 grains of IMR 5010 and getting just shy 3000 fps on a 28 inch barrel, I was thinking about starting at around 100 grains,I cant find any info for the 300 smk

I have been using 50BMG 112.5 gr. gives 3080 fps, that is my most accrute load, can go up to 3160 but not as accrute, of course that is with a 36 inch barrel. If trying 50 BMG I would go to about 108 and work up. It shoots good summer and winter also, no preasure signs at all and no primer pocket loosening

Check out Hodgdons sight, there is data there for their powders. I have a good load with US 869 at 115 grains but I will not use it when it's above 80. I am going to try Retumbo and 50 BMG when things warm up and see how they do. Dave

50 BMG, Retumbo and H-870 all will give you good results. I have not tried the new 869 that replaced 870. The beauty of the 338-378 wby is that it is easy to load for and performs well with several different powders. There is good reason it and improved versions have been the top 338 long range performers in a hunting weight rifle for about 40 years. With a 30 inch barrel you can get good accuracy loads over 3000 fps with several different powders.

I have never reloaded for a belted mag before and was really thinking about just neck resizing for this rifle as it will be the only one I load for, any thoughts or recommendations

I neck size everything. Some match shooters will set there headspace a few thousanths off of the belt and headspace off the shoulder on belted magnums. In other words fireforming and all neck sizing after that headspacing off the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.