338/378 300gr SMK Data

Brent

The barrel is a 32.5" Pacnor, and a 300gr SMK over 118gr H870 OAL 4.100" averaged 2937fps at +32°F. BC averaged .863 for three shots with a high of .883 and low of .844. Pressure averaged 59,400psi with a high of 61,400 and low of 57,800. Measurements taken with an Oehler M43.

120+percent.jpg

500 bullets came in the mail from Sinclair this week so testing will be finally getting off the ground at some long distance now.

The muzzle break is outstanding and in the Choate stock (heavy) it is very easy to shoot, about the same as a light 308win.

We'll see how the drop chart works out now. As I've posted in the optic section we've got an scope ring problem to resolve first though.

I'm very impressed with this cartridge. For a factory loading it is no doubt an all around cost effective SUPER Performance hands down winner.

Figured out how to scan this paper and post it so here it is.

The .768 written in pen next to the BC is what we had our drop chart printed for at the time, an estimate based on Darryls experience etc.

[ 04-20-2002: Message edited by: Brent ]

[ 04-20-2002: Message edited by: Brent ]

This is a rather early thread, I see, yet, still pertinent. To myself, any ways. Have a rifle very similar, 33in Lilja barrel. Absolutely love it. Have shot .3moa groups at times...looking to move up to 300gr SMKs soon.

There have great strides made within the .338 community as far as new powders, new bullet designs and the availability of longer barrels coupled with much better glass since 2002. The advent of ELD competitions, King of Two Mile and the NRA sanctioned One Mile Shoot serve to stimulate the interest of many more shooters to try the bigger cartridges and heavier bullets at significantly longer ranges.

There was a time not too awfully long ago when we thought that 1,000 yards was a 'fer piece, and it is. But we've progressed beyond the thousand yards to embrace the challenges of shooting out to 2,640 yards. Yes, I know that there's huge rush to push this distance further and faster so someone can claim a 'world's record' for the longest shot in order to build their reputation and business but none of those folks ever try to actually shoot a group or demonstrate the consistency of hitting a target more than once at extreme ranges.

I'm currently fielding a 32" Krieger, a 32" and 33" Bartlein and I have a 37" Obermeyer on the way. I chose the .338-378 Weatherby for balance between the load capacity, bullet weight and achievable velocity. The Lapua and the .338 Norma Mag didn't quite make the cut for the extreme ranges although I'm working with the .300 Norma Mag at some slightly shorter ranges. All of my chambers are cut for the standard Weatherby case but the throats are extended for specific bullet designs. Only one is magazine fed while the others are single shots.

Depending on the chamber and bullet, I'm using a lot of Re-33 and both of the 50 BMG powders.

There have great strides made within the .338 community as far as new powders, new bullet designs and the availability of longer barrels coupled with much better glass since 2002. The advent of ELD competitions, King of Two Mile and the NRA sanctioned One Mile Shoot serve to stimulate the interest of many more shooters to try the bigger cartridges and heavier bullets at significantly longer ranges.

There was a time not too awfully long ago when we thought that 1,000 yards was a 'fer piece, and it is. But we've progressed beyond the thousand yards to embrace the challenges of shooting out to 2,640 yards. Yes, I know that there's huge rush to push this distance further and faster so someone can claim a 'world's record' for the longest shot in order to build their reputation and business but none of those folks ever try to actually shoot a group or demonstrate the consistency of hitting a target more than once at extreme ranges.

I'm currently fielding a 32" Krieger, a 32" and 33" Bartlein and I have a 37" Obermeyer on the way. I chose the .338-378 Weatherby for balance between the load capacity, bullet weight and achievable velocity. The Lapua and the .338 Norma Mag didn't quite make the cut for the extreme ranges although I'm working with the .300 Norma Mag at some slightly shorter ranges. All of my chambers are cut for the standard Weatherby case but the throats are extended for specific bullet designs. Only one is magazine fed while the others are single shots.

Depending on the chamber and bullet, I'm using a lot of Re-33 and both of the 50 BMG powders.
A lot of people hate on the big Weatherby, and even more hate on belted cases in general, but from where I stand, being able to go down to the sporting goods store and buy both loaded ammo as well as brass, and be shooting shortly there after with a STOMPING rifle is worth every single little headache I went thru to get this monstrosity to shoot well. I didn't know ANYTHING about ANYTHING when I started. Originally I was intending to rebarrel my 416Rem Mag in 338, and when I ordered the barrel from Lilja, I got them to profile it accordingly. And....a friend of mine mentioned the Lapua to me. Brass at that time for the Lapua was a) hard to find, and b) VERY expensive for a working stiff like me, at $125 for a box of 20. After some research, lo and behold, 338-378 Wby brass was half the cost, and somewhat faster. Course, now , that is reversed, but, its still FASTER ! I love it. Would I like a 338 Superduper Lightening Bolt ? Hell yeah, I would! Unfortunatly, I can't buy ammo OR brass at basically ANY store, irrespective of cost for said cartridge. And to me, that is huge. And it can still be loaded to some impressive velocities. More than adequate for me. Next, the haters say Well, ya know, Gregg , dont chya, your only gonna get 3 loads outta that sorry brass . Well, I beg to differ. My first 40 rounds went 20 loads till they started splitting necks. Yeah, the primer pockets got a bit sloppy, but I never saw any sign of gases on the bolt face. That I guess, could be attributed to ignorance, but still, everything is golden that I can tell. I am more than satisfied. Loved your post, love this sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.