.338 300gr. Lapua Scenar Bullets

338 lapua

Does anyone have any experience with the 300 gr. lapua Scenars for hunting? I have been using 300 gr. Sierra Match Kings with good success but would like to know if anyone has actually shot game with scenars and what was the expansion like?

Thanks for any info

Does anyone have any experience with the 300 gr. lapua Scenars for hunting? I have been using 300 gr. Sierra Match Kings with good success but would like to know if anyone has actually shot game with scenars and what was the expansion like?

Thanks for any info

0 expansion. Scenars wont open period. SMK's will to a point, but Scenars are like FMJ's. Dont waste your barrel testing them.

Actually, the Sierra's arent meant to perform on game, either. They behave just like FMJs, which is why they're legal under the Laws of Land Warfare, a decision handed down by both our JAG International Law Branch, and the old Wound Ballistics Lab that was headed Col. Martin L. Fackler, MD (Ret.) These aren't bullet failures; they're simply doing what the bullets were designed to do. Both perform accurately, and while the SMK may be a bit more fragile than the Scenar, neither is intended to expand on game.

KT

Actually, the Sierra's arent meant to perform on game, either. They behave just like FMJs, which is why they're legal under the Laws of Land Warfare, a decision handed down by both our JAG International Law Branch, and the old Wound Ballistics Lab that was headed Col. Martin L. Fackler, MD (Ret.) These aren't bullet failures; they're simply doing what the bullets were designed to do. Both perform accurately, and while the SMK may be a bit more fragile than the Scenar, neither is intended to expand on game.

KT

Actually, at the velocities I've used them (300gr SMK's) at (3300fps), they didn't behave anything like FMJ's on the 3 Elk I've taken with them. Two of the elk (508 and 720yds) were hit just behind the shoulder with broadside shot and double lung, other than a rib on the entrance, no bone was hit on the entrance side, neither Elk went more than about 20' (large cow and 5x5 bull). Neither bullet left an exit wound! The third elk, I hit high in the back just behind the shoulder and 2 vertebrae were removed from the animal (this elk didn't go far either), the shot was 520yds on a yearling elk.

AJ

Last edited:
AJ, I am guessing youre refering to the SMK's?

My experiance with the Scenars (30 cal 155's and 338 300's) act just like FMJ's.

My experiance with the SMK's is that they can and emphasis on CAN open under the right circumstances. The 338/300 grain has the best reputation of all the SMK's for killing performance. I am sure that among other things, its sheer size has something to do with it.

Kevin is correct in that neither the SMK or the Scenar was designed to expand on game. SMK's when used at the right velocity for a given model have been known to expand. The 300 SMK specifecly sure seems like it has been pretty reliable. This is largely due in part to its super high BC and subsequent ability to keep its velocity longer. This high impact velocity is what helps it open up despite the fact that it wasnt designed to do so. I imagine if you dropped the impact velocity down to around 1400-1600 FPS things might be different.

AJ, no argument there, and as I'd indicated, the SMKs are more fragile. My point, however, is that you'll virtually never see the classic mushroom performance most expect from a true hunting bullet. They just aren't designed do perform in that manner (or any manner, for that matter) after impact. Arriving accurately on target is where the design criteria ended, and that's true for virtually all of the SMK designs. I'll be curious to see what Berger's do in the field, since I believe Eric plans on doing a true Hunting bullet in addition to a Target version.

Kevin

Hi, I tried to tell Sierra on their Tech. line 20 years ago and they got mad.I live where it is easy to hunt in four states.One county in VA. for awhile now you can kill 2 deer a day either sex from Nov. to into middle of Jan. and now March.The point is i have had the chance to kill more deer than most and nothing comes close to the killing ability of the Match Kings.I have shot deer from 5 yards and as far as over 1500 yards and it looks like a grenade went off in the chest cavity.I have used the Bergers Match bullets with the same success.I started using 30 cal. and now also use the 338 cal. and i understand that the bullets were not designed for this but how do you ignore my experience of hundreds of deer shot with the same results.The conventional way of thinking about bullet perfomance is more to the shooting of large thick skinned and boned animals.It is along the same lines as everyone thinking that Berger VLD's had to be jammed but then as people started trying backing them out(mostly because of not wanting to jam hunting rounds)we found out they shoot just as good and sometimes better.Now Berger understands this and has changed their advise.Thanks,Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.