.338 300gn smk and moose?

LeMay

Effect DEATH
smile.gif

I imagine Darryl could give you the best idea, them Elk aren't much different critters for size.

I know a 338 300gr anything would do the trick, near or far, any angle... they ain't brown bear or even close. Matter of fact, if the shot was well placed in a Brownies shoulder I doubt he'd keep it from entering the vitals too, although I'd use a better constructed bullet, as I might be having to track him down afterward.

Brent, thanks for the response.I have always heard that the elk are actually tougher than the moose. I would certainly think that a head shot on a close range brownie would certainly do the job if necessary.
If I were hunting the brownies, then I would be carrying the .458 winnie with hardcast.
as far as any tracking goes I'll call you with the 416 wby. LOL's
wink.gif

Thanks,
John

O.K. all, I am wondering has anybody tried the 338 lapua with a 300 smk on moose? if so to what effect?
I am trying real hard to get moved up there. maybe in early summer.
Thanks for any advice,
Halfbreed

300 SMK on moose... 3 shots... 3 moose. 2 were in the 440 yard range area (439 on one) and the other was about 175 yards. I've many times posted the picture of the bullet I recovered from the 439 moose...nice classic mushroom and the typical/standard core slippage of Sierra. I'd use them in a heartbeat again and am taking them on the elk hunt next month (Oct 2003).

Dave King, thank you for the reply. Since I am relatively new to this board, I try hard to do a good search through the archives. Some topics seem to be more elusive than others. I am not able to assist other on this board, my past long range abilities only went out to about 250 yards. But things have changed and I need to learn how to hunt long range. This board has helped tremendously, and I am very thankful.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.