338-300 Win Mag (338 Patriot)

thesheepdog

It's been a while since I've done anything with this: working 50-60 hours a week and studying to be an engineer at the same time....yeah.....

Anyway,

I got some free time this weekend to play around with some loads. I opted to use some IMR 7828 and Berger 300gr OTM's.

Load specs:

67gr IMR 7828
300gr Berger OTM
Federal 300 WM brass
Rem Mag Primers
3.875 OAL

Rifle Specs:
Bartlein 28" MTU 5R, 1:9.3 (nitrided)
Rem 700 custom action

This load was clocking about 2500fps. I have more powder room in the case to boost the velocity, so that't what I am going to do over the next few weeks.
I also plan to take this bad-boy out to 1300 yards in the next few weeks as well.

Attachments

• 338-300wm.jpg
    338-300wm.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 588
  • 338-300wm rifle.jpg
    338-300wm rifle.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 329
Very cool rifle. I'm really interested to see where your load ends up and how it shoots at long range.

And I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you're studying mechanical engineering?

Very cool rifle. I'm really interested to see where your load ends up and how it shoots at long range.

And I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you're studying mechanical engineering?

Thanks for the reply! I am just as interested as you-if not more. My hope is to get 2550-2600fps out of this load with 300gr and 2700ish with the 250's.

I would like to do Mechanical Engineering, however, I have most of my experience in computers/programming; with that, Computer Engineering my be my forte.

So, I got to stretch the 338-300's legs out to 1000 yards with some 250gr HPBT's (Hornady).

Average velocity was 2715 fps, using 72.5gr RL26.

This load shot like a laser.

I also used the same powder charge for some 285 AMAX's and 300gr Bergers. The 285s were running 2685fps and the 300gr Bergers were running 2630fps

Awesome, but what DBM are you running to mag feed that 3.875" OAL? Seekins 3.990"...? Definitely interested, as this is another option for a 338 on a 700 platform!

Awesome, but what DBM are you running to mag feed that 3.875" OAL? Seekins 3.990"...? Definitely interested, as this is another option for a 338 on a 700 platform!

That's typo. :) It's actually 3.785. I am running the Accurate Mag/AICS + (ext.) length mags out of my Mcree Chassis. I have some 338 Edge barrels for this action that I load to 3.8"ish.

That's typo. :) It's actually 3.785. I am running the Accurate Mag/AICS + (ext.) length mags out of my Mcree Chassis. I have some 338 Edge barrels for this action that I load to 3.8"ish.

OK, that makes more sense!:) i like it, with the Ultra Mag brass being so hard to find locally to do the Edge, this opens up another option. Getting 2600+ with RL26, with room to spare I assume, is pretty awesome considering the relatively low powder charges (compared to the Edge/Lapua, etc). Keep up the great work sir!

OK, that makes more sense!:) i like it, with the Ultra Mag brass being so hard to find locally to do the Edge, this opens up another option. Getting 2600+ with RL26, with room to spare I assume, is pretty awesome considering the relatively low powder charges (compared to the Edge/Lapua, etc). Keep up the great work sir!

Yes! That's why I went with a "backup" .338 caliber for my 338 Edge-brass was too hard to find and expensive.
And 2600+ with a 300gr Berger is nothing to cry about. That is one heck of an LR load.

Here's where I got my reamer from, in case you'd like to make yourself one too.

Reamers, Chamber Reamers, Jgstools.com, Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol, Chamber Reamers , Gauges, Bore Reamers, Precision Tools, Rifle Button, Turbo Assesories, Quality Tooling

So Saturday I got to push the .338 Patriot (.338-300 Win Mag) out to 1200 yards. I was using 300gr Bergers loaded to 3.785 OAL which clocked 2610 fps (very low SD) using 72.5gr RL26. RL26 is like the big-bore magnum version of RL17. I absolutely love both of these powders. No pressure signs at all. Based off my predictions, I am within .338 Win Mag territory still as far as pressure is concerned, with about 10gr more case volume.

Overall, I am very pleased with this caliber. I don't even shoot my .338 Edge anymore, because it's way overkill for 1200 yards.

It's been a while.

Good news though. My buddy and I found a range here in Texas that offers up to 2400 yards of distance and we're planning on heading out there sometime next month.

This is amazing for so many reasons. 1) I get to stretch the legs of my .338-300 Win Mag beyond a mile 2) shooting a mile+ is a lifelong dream 3) I also get to test out my .308 Win, 208gr AMAX loads.

Stay tuned. I'll be posting pictures/videos about this once I get the opportunity.

It's been a while.

Good news though. My buddy and I found a range here in Texas that offers up to 2400 yards of distance and we're planning on heading out there sometime next month.

This is amazing for so many reasons. 1) I get to stretch the legs of my .338-300 Win Mag beyond a mile 2) shooting a mile+ is a lifelong dream 3) I also get to test out my .308 Win, 208gr AMAX loads.

Stay tuned. I'll be posting pictures/videos about this once I get the opportunity.

Awesome! gun)

So I finally did it!!! I got to shoot 1 mile with my 338 and actually hit something!!

I used 285gr AMAX to get my 1st and only hit at a mile away. 22.1 mils of elevation and 1.5 mils for wind on a 24x24 target.

My original dope was off by a mil. I noticed my first shots at 1760 were a mil high, so I went back to 1100 and checked my DOPE, and it was a mil high. So I corrected, started to engage the 1 mile plate and my next shots went 0.2 mils left, so I corrected and BANG!!!! One shot on the bottom left edge of tech plate.

So I finally did it!!! I got to shoot 1 mile with my 338 and actually hit something!!

I used 285gr AMAX to get my 1st and only hit at a mile away. 22.1 mils of elevation and 1.5 mils for wind on a 24x24 target.

My original dope was off by a mil. I noticed my first shots at 1760 were a mil high, so I went back to 1100 and checked my DOPE, and it was a mil high. So I corrected, started to engage the 1 mile plate and my next shots went 0.2 mils left, so I corrected and BANG!!!! One shot on the bottom left edge of tech plate.

Nice, congratulations on busting the mile!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.